walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Cloud Inversion with a difference

A Cloud Inversion with a difference

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Wild Boar Fell

Date walked: 12/07/2017

Time taken: 4

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 621m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As a stunning day and a reasonable amount of time for once fell on my day off work I decided to head for the Dales and was all set to walk up Calf Top from Barbon. A few unforeseen incidents later saw me setting off later than hoped meaning that Calf Top would have to be a bit rushed. With this peculating in my mind as Hughie and I zoomed across the A66 towards the waiting hills I made an executive decision and decided to bin off Calf Top and leave it for another day and head for an old favorite Wild Boar Fell.
Having climbed this fine fell from the magnificent Mallerstang valley previously I decided to ascend from the Ravenstonedale side this time so left the A683 Sedburgh road for the old road through the dale. I pottered along till I was somewhere around the region of Fell End before parking up on a stunning morning of wall to wall sunshine.

Having read the title you'll be wondering just where the cloud inversion comes into things? Well the clouds beneath Wild Boar Fell where now right in front of me in the shape of the wonderfully named Fell End and Stennerskeugh Clouds. I always thought this was a superb name for limestone pavements and I set off to explore these up an old track that was presumably from a time when the limestone was "harvested" for mortar.

ImageMeadows in Ravenstonedale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross to the Howgills by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOld Lime Kiln? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Heading up the Old Track by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I made my way up through the pavements, marvelling at the superb scenery allround, towards the "summit" of Fell End Clouds. This isn't really a summit but is part of a low ridge which runs across the top of the pavements. The walking is beautiful and I could have spent quite a while wandering in this superb corner of the world.

ImageFell End Clouds Panorama by Anthony Young, on Flickr (click on pic for bigger version)

ImageOld Cairn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Limestone pavement by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHeading up the mini ridge of Fell End Clouds by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to the cairns by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFell End Clouds Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back towards the Howgills by Anthony Young, on Flickr

On the way to Stennerskeugh Clouds by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageStennerskeugh Clouds Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Having traversed across the mini ridge I set off across open fellside to link up with the Pennine bridleway up towards another superbly named spot, High Dolphinsty. Once on the Bridleway the huge number of trees that are getting planted around this area are there to be seen. It's wonderful to think this area will be largely re-forested with native species in a few years time, who knows perhaps they'll release some wild boar as well. I'm sure all the trees will look great once they mature but what does look great now is the sight of the Mallerstang valley laid out before you as you reach the pass.

ImageOn the Pennine Bridleway by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down Scandal by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHigh Dolphinsty by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNorth West from High Dolphinsty by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I'd started to see other walkers by now following the seclusion of the clouds as I made my way up towards the seemingly dramatic peak of The Nab. This isn't really a dramatic peak, just the termination of the edge but it does make a very fine view point to look up, down and across the valley. I continued along the edge ignoring the summit for the time being and decided, as I saw a group of walkers heading to the shelter just ahead on the edge, to find a nice patch of grass to sit and have a bit too eat. I sat watching the clouds make patterns on the fells alone with my own thoughts feeling like there was nowhere else in the world I'd rather be at this moment. There is just something about the landscapes of the North West Dales that really just does it for me.

ImageAcross Mallerstang to High Seat by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Nab by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBog and Sky by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Nab Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlackbed Scar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to Mallerstang by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageYoadcomb Scar with Ingleborough and Wernside by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back towards High Seat by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie exploring by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Nothing lasts forever so I roused myself to continue along the edge to visit the Stone Men who stand so prominently above the valley. The nine standards my be more famous but these cairns still provide an impressive and baffling sight. Who built them and why? along with the name of Mallerstang it'self it's lost to history. I suppose this, along with so many other fine names for places in these parts just adds to the romance and mystery of the place.

ImageStone Men on Wild Boar Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageYorkshire three Peaks on the horizon by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAnother of the Stone Men by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSunlight and shadows. by Anthony Young, on Flickr

By now I had formulated a plan to follow the edge of Wild Boar Fell's plateau all the way back round to the summit, fine in theory but as the edge loses definition around the southern tip not quite as rewarding as hoped. Soon enough however I was on the western edge enjoying great views to the Howgills and beyond as I made the very steady climb up to the summit.

ImageHughie looking towards the Howgills by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards the North Pennines by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWild Boar Fell Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Summit visited I set off towards Sand Tarn which soon came into view. I picked my way down the fellside before finding a suitable place to sit and enjoy this peaceful spot as I consumed the remainder of my rations. I didn't have the place to myself which was a shame if I'm being selfish, but it's still a very nice tarn nestled just below the summit. In fact I'd say it's probably my favorite tarn I've been to in the Dales.

ImageSand Tarn with the Howgills behind by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSand Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCautley Crag and Spout from Sand Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDramatic Sand Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The way down was straightforward and relatively dry as I followed Forcepot Sike and Clouds Gill down towards Fell End before picking up an old track back to the car. This was a wonderful way to spend a few hours with the ascent from this side possibly being even better than the Mallerstang side given the beautiful limestone clouds and Sand Tarn. All in all a superb day in the fells :D

ImageOld Sheep Fold at Fell End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageShadowy Cautley Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Wild Boar Fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Cloud Inversion with a difference

Postby trailmasher » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Some great shots there JK :clap: and what great weather you had to ratch about on these fine hills 8) Walking the 'clouds' is a good enough reason to get out there as it is superb walking country and the Fat Lamb is a great place to replace any lost fluid :lol: :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:21 pm

That looks excellent, and some lovely photos there.

Limestone pavements are one of the most remarkable types of terrain we have in the UK.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:12 am

trailmasher wrote:Some great shots there JK :clap: and what great weather you had to ratch about on these fine hills 8) Walking the 'clouds' is a good enough reason to get out there as it is superb walking country and the Fat Lamb is a great place to replace any lost fluid :lol: :lol:

Cheers TM, unfortunately no time for fluid replacemet on this day :(

Mal Grey wrote:That looks excellent, and some lovely photos there.

Limestone pavements are one of the most remarkable types of terrain we have in the UK.

Thanks Mal, I do find limestone pavement endlessly fascinating.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:31 am

This place is very close to my heart - Mallerstang is where we started our annual extended family get-togethers some 30 years or so ago, and we're still doing them!

Fantastic pics, as usual. I never fail to be absolutely amazed at the colours you get (never mind the compositions!). Do you use any special filters, or adjust the pics later?
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:59 am

Alteknacker wrote:This place is very close to my heart - Mallerstang is where we started our annual extended family get-togethers some 30 years or so ago, and we're still doing them!

Fantastic pics, as usual. I never fail to be absolutely amazed at the colours you get (never mind the compositions!). Do you use any special filters, or adjust the pics later?

I do love Mallerstang, then again who wouldn't? Thanks once again for your comments on my photos. I shoot in RAW rather than jpeg so I can process the images as I want them to be. If you try and edit jpegs they quickly degrade but a RAW image doesn't. I certainly don't spend long on each image, anywhere from 2 to 15 mins usually.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland