walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tut, tut, I've been cheating again!

Tut, tut, I've been cheating again!

Postby martin.h » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Rigg, Raven Crag

Date walked: 08/10/2017

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 630m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Raven Crag and High Rigg were two of the smaller Wainwrights in the central fells we had to do to get closer to finishing that region, I'd cobbled together a route that would include them both starting from the National Trust car park at the far end of the dam on Thirlmere, the weather was forecast was good, a contrast to Saturday's wind and rain, we wanted to get home in reasonable time so this little route would work out well.

When I got up on Sunday morning all was not well with my right knee, it was painful to put weight on it, there was no swelling or anything, just discomfort when I bent it, this had never happened before and I hadn't done anything to cause it, I took some Ibuprofen and hoped it would ease.

After breakfast we loaded the car and set off to have a go at the planned route. The knee felt better so I still wanted to get these hills done.
During the drive to the start I thought to make sure I stood a reasonable chance of doing this we'd cheat and make use of the car, using it to reduce the walk between the two hills, I know its's naughty but I really didn't want to miss these two again.

There's a large layby to park in off the A591 at around NY300207, we aimed for that, got ready and set off walking, the knee was still bothering me but it was comfortable walking on it. From the layby you can get onto a bridleway that takes you towards Shaw Bank. When we arrived at a hand gate in the wall at around NY303211 went through it and turned right and followed the wall up. There's a path forcing its way through the bracken, this ends where it meets the usual path up High Rigg at around NY309211, we turned left here and followed the excellent path all the way to the summit.

Looking back down the way we'd come.

Path to the summit.

The views were fantastic today, Skiddaw, Blencathra, the Dodds, Helvellyn (ish), Seat Sandal, Raven Crag etc etc, its a great viewpoint, I found High Rigg itself very interesting with the drumlins and crags highlighted in the autumn sun.

Summit Views,

Skiddaw.

Blencathra.

We had to leave this lovely view point so we set off back the way we'd come. The round trip took 1.5 hrs, not bad on a dodgy knee and within the two hour time limit you're allowed for parking in the layby. We set off for the carpark below Raven Crag happy we'd done High Rigg, cheating does have its advantages.

The road over the dam was closed so we found a spot to park just off the main road and walked from there, this was quite enjoyable as there was no need to keep looking out for cars. The view down Thirlmere from the dam is nice with the trees down the sides getting their autumn colours.

Further along there's this rather splendid looking building.

Fungi.

Further on we found the start of the walk up.

It's a steady pull up on a good path initially through the trees, above them the views are really nice.
During the walk up an air ambulance was buzzing around overhead, we wondered if they were training as it was doing a lot of hovering, further up we met a guy coming down who told us somebody was having problems and it was an actual rescue, there was a Landrover ambulance on the forest track further up taking the casualty away, it must have been a fall or something, when we got to the scene the Landrover was departing.

Near the top the path turns into a staircase (well, almost) and then a series of board walks. At the top there's a well construted viewing platform the views from which are superb.

On the way to the viewing platform.

We spent a while on the top, it was warm, almost summer like, in total contrast to the day before, we wanted to stay longer but we had to get going.

On the way down we passed a couple of families heading up, the children were enjoying themselves, darting about having a good time, it was nice to see this, fresh air and exercise, does 'em the world of good.

The knee was complaining a bit by the time we got to the road so the walk back to the car was at a gentle pace.
I stopped to take a few photos on the way.

We'd managed to do all that we wanted over the weekend even if I'd cheated a bit, I'm hoping the knee behaves for our next visit.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland