walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The other Sca Fell and Great Cockup

The other Sca Fell and Great Cockup

Postby icemandan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brae Fell, Great Cockup, Great Sca Fell, Longlands Fell, Meal Fell

Date walked: 10/10/2010

Time taken: 3

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 674m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Not a cloud in the sky. Couldn't not hit the hills. A cluster of undone Wainwrights in the far north caught the eye. Parked up at Overwater (surely the least known lake in the Lake District)
Over Water.jpg
and headed along easy grassy moorland paths
Moorland Path.jpg
for Great Cockup which must feature in 'Give me a P please Bob' at some point). Strictly avoiding inappropriate innuendo, Great Cockup doesn't really rise to the occasion, being a modest and unimpressive elevation. It does however manage a perfunctory plunge into the narrow cleft of Trusmadoor. Onto the little bump of Meal Fell and up onto Great Sca Fell. Great Sca Fell is a shallow boggy bump with a path crossroads and a small cairn. One plus point compared to the better known Sca Fell is that you usually get it to yourself. A drop down to Brae Fell as the lowering sun began to burn off the haze
Hazy sun.jpg
, on to Longlands Fell and down. A pleasant afternoon on easy grass tracks but you can't help feeling that AW was struggling to make up the numbers in the Northern Fells. Brae Fell in particular has a rise of 16m and Great Sca Fell 23.
Attachments
Great Cockup.jpg
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: The other Sca Fell and Great Cockup

Postby mountain coward » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm on Great Cockup and Meal Fell a lot as I can walk them from my caravan without involving the car. I actually like both of them, especially Trusmadoor between them :D
mountain coward

Postby Glyno » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi icemandan, just out of interest - was it you that my colleague and I passed as we descended Great Cockup (down Orthwaite Bank) at about 14.30?

And yes, it was indeed a cloudless sky though a bit hazy and quite blustery on the tops!
Glyno
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:169
Wainwrights:214   

Postby icemandan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Yep that was me.

Hope you found the path down. I came across a wider and more convincing one just after I left you. The light got better later on but the wind didn't drop. Had a few enervating episodes of map origami.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Postby fedupofuserids » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Certainly underated fells, they don't have the dramatic scenery of the rest of the lakes but they do have their own charm.
fedupofuserids

Postby fedupofuserids » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:44 pm

mountain coward wrote:I'm on Great Cockup and Meal Fell a lot as I can walk them from my caravan without involving the car. I actually like both of them, especially Trusmadoor between them :D

No point in putting up that photo of the Grouse Butts next time on guess the pic then :(
fedupofuserids

Postby colgregg » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 am

fedupofuserids wrote:Certainly underated fells, they don't have the dramatic scenery of the rest of the lakes but they do have their own charm.

Theyre what I'd call thinking fells. Just like on many of the dales fells you can lose yourself in your thoughts for miles on end without worrying about tripping over, falling off cliff edges, having to step out of the way to let others past or heaving yourself up excessivly steep slopes. Great hills for a day's peace and quiet.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby icemandan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Can't disagree with that. You're relatively untroubled by having to go uphill as well. The picture of the moorland path reminds me of the sofa in a student house I once stayed in.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland