walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cadair Idris ridges walk: 8 hewitts round + Brocken Spectre

Cadair Idris ridges walk: 8 hewitts round + Brocken Spectre

by Alteknacker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:46 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Cadair Idris - Penygadair, Craig Cwm Amarch, Craig-las, Craig-y-llyn, Cyfrwy, Mynydd Moel, Tarren y Gesail, Tarrenhendre

Date walked: 27/10/2017

Time taken: 11.75

Distance: 39.5 km

Ascent: 2948m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Cadair Idris ridges walk: 8 hewitts round + Brocken Spec

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Roger n Sue Fellows wrote:You got there first with the Fox Moth Emma. Do you tramp the hills with a net?

No, but I'm enjoying the mental picture :lol:
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:Really enjoyed your report, plover, spectre and the impressive hike. Your not-a-ballpoint-caterpillar is fox moth. It'll go and hide somewhere for the winter, but meanwhile it's basking :crazy:

Thanks for the inf, Emma. Having now looked up the beast, I'll keep an eye open for the moth phase next year.

litljortindan wrote:A big walk and great scenery well captured.

Thanks very much. Most of the scenery is seriously impressive, but I'm not keen on the forestry :thumbdown:.

trailmasher wrote:Another great walk and pics Alte :clap: :clap: a massive round for a short day so well done you, loved the sunrise and Brocken pics :D

Thanks TM. As already commented, I got a terrific buzz from the Brocken Spectre...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Great report showing the character and beauty of this wonderful region, including some lesser-known corners!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Roger n Sue Fellows » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:01 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:
Roger n Sue Fellows wrote:You got there first with the Fox Moth Emma. Do you tramp the hills with a net?

No, but I'm enjoying the mental picture :lol:

But you could, how will you make sure of Black Mountain Moths , Broad-bordered White Underwings and such-like otherwise? 8)
Roger n Sue Fellows
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:19
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm

The weather map at the start is one of the most informative ones that I've seen :lol:

Good route - a bit extra as usual (Tarrens in this case). I loved the fact that I could do the Cadair Idris side of this walk as a day-trip on the train from Shropshire, even in the middle of winter. It wasn't an overly long day out in the end, but seemed very improbable.

Marmalade bagels -no wonder the camera on your phone doesn't work!

As I mentioned at the weekend, a bit of the Cyfrwy Arete seems to have fallen off:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=673655
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:15 am

malky_c wrote:The weather map at the start is one of the most informative ones that I've seen :lol:

Good route - a bit extra as usual (Tarrens in this case). I loved the fact that I could do the Cadair Idris side of this walk as a day-trip on the train from Shropshire, even in the middle of winter. It wasn't an overly long day out in the end, but seemed very improbable.

Marmalade bagels -no wonder the camera on your phone doesn't work!

As I mentioned at the weekend, a bit of the Cyfrwy Arete seems to have fallen off:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=673655

Glad you appreciated the weather map. Hopefully this will help guide your walk planning going forward...

Really, that's a very disturbing thing about Cyfrwy Arete. I don't even want to think about it. One hangs off these big rocks on the assumption that 70kg won't much affect 70 tonnes, but then something like this happens...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland