walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Visiting Adam&Eve, climbing Bristly and witnessing a rescue

Visiting Adam&Eve, climbing Bristly and witnessing a rescue

Postby jacob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Tryfan

Date walked: 17/10/2017

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I must admit this hurts a bit, writing a walk report a week and a half of "back to work" after a beautifal short week in Wales. Normally it makes me enjoy the afterglow, this time it just makes me ache and long back.

As we spent the day before Ophelia on Crib Lem and the day itself at South Stack, we decided to climb Tryfan and maybe some more summits the day after. The mrs really enjoyed the scrambling on Crib Lem, so I knew Tryfan was going to be good fun. I wasn't too sure though about Bristly Ridge, where I planned to go up Sinister or Main Gully. (It's not that I was doubting between the two, it's just that I don't know which one I've climbed in the past).

It seemed we might be the first to make an ascent that morning, as the parking place near Gwern Gof Uchaf was deserted.

The ascent went well. Some stones where slippery, the wind was still hard but not too cold and the mountain was quiet. We heard some voices here and there but we didn't see anyone till a bit higher up.

SAM_1134 (2).jpg

The scrambling was all the fun I had promised the mrs

SAM_1150 (2).jpg

SAM_1154 (2).jpg

The sun by now coloured the views on the Carneddau, we were on the wrong side of Tryfan :lol: All the more reason to steadily keep on scrambling.

SAM_1158 (2).jpg

Size matters. Great rockarchitechture.

SAM_1161 (2).jpg

SAM_1168 (2).jpg

Great steep views through a small gully

SAM_1171 (2).jpg

SAM_1181 (2).jpg

However much fun Tryfan is, and despite it's moderate ascent, there's still a lot of huffing and puffing. Every now and then there's need for a short pause.

SAM_1187 (2).jpg

Adam and Eve offer some protection from the wind, so the summit is the perfect place for a slightly longer pause and a zip and a bite.

SAM_1202 (2).jpg

What a magnificent little mountain it is

SAM_1203 (2).jpg

I hope I'm not insulting anyone, but I can't hear the difference between Welsh and various Scandinavian languages. Either way, a very gentle man who spoke either one of the above to his children offered us a lovely romantic look at us being happy near the summit photo.

SAM_1214 (2).jpg

The mrs and I agreed on descending the south side of Tryfan and deciding there wether we would go for another summit. View from the south:

SAM_1222 (2).jpg

And we did decide on going for Glyder Fach, via Brisly Ridge. Again, I don't know wether we took Sinister or Main Gully, but fun we had. This is the mrs making her way towards the gully

SAM_1227 (2).jpg

SAM_1229 (2).jpg

And this is her, photo taken from inside the gully:

SAM_1231 (2).jpg

Scrambling fun:

SAM_1237 (2).jpg

SAM_1239 (2).jpg

At a certain moment we diverted towards the right side of the ridge. This photo is taken from there, looking backwards at Tryfan

SAM_1241 (2).jpg

The scrambling there is less technical, but no less fun:

SAM_1246 (2).jpg

SAM_1250 (2).jpg

SAM_1259 (2).jpg

SAM_1261 (2).jpg

While having another bite on the summit of Glyder Fach, a coastguard helicopter hovered in the valley below. Apparantly a rescue of two climbers, that according to the mountain rescue website lasted around 75 minutes.

SAM_1283 (2).jpg

The mrs didn't seem to keen on visiting Glyder Fawr and Y Garn as well, so we descended down the, might I say terribly eroded, scree path east of Bristly Ridge. Nice views on Tryfan though:

SAM_1285 (2).jpg
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: Visiting Adam&Eve, climbing Bristly and witnessing a res

Postby Sgurr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:34 pm

You make it all look so easy. Had you carried on to Glyder Fawr by lunch, you would have met us.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jacob » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:33 pm

You make it all look so easy

Haha, that's not the reputation I have at my local indoor climbing wall, where I'm known for making the easiest of movements look like a battle with the devil himself :lol:

Had you carried on to Glyder Fawr by lunch, you would have met us.

Now that's a real pity, would have loved to meet some fellow WH'ers. Never happened, but every time I've visited the UK, I've been hoping for it. :(
jacob

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Enjoyed that. As did you, by the looks of it!

This remains one of my favourite days out in the British hills. Easily accessible, but truly dramatic and the amount of scrambling you can squeeze into a short walk is remarkable.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jacob » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:28 pm

You can't imagine the fun we had. And I couldn't agree with you more, Tryfan is a fantastic mountain, full of interest.
Although Snowdonia lacks the grandeur of Scotland, the Norwegian highlands or the Alps, it is such a special place with a very distinct atmosphere to it. We visited the more southern parts as well this time and I simply love Snowdonia, even more now than after my first three visits, when I saw no more than the Carneddau, Glyders and Snowdon area.
jacob

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:23 pm

This is such a good area for scrambling, isn't it? And so compact.

How come you didn't publish the pic of you jumping between Adam and Eve...???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jacob » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 am

Alteknacker wrote:How come you didn't publish the pic of you jumping between Adam and Eve...???

Because I jump faster than light :lol:

It's either that, or I just didn't have the guts.... :oops:
jacob

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland