walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hebden Bridge circular

Hebden Bridge circular

Postby treehugger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 am

Date walked: 14/11/2017

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142890672@N04/38379522572/in/album-72157687349987812/
click arrow on right of first pic to go to next one, some pics have comment underneath.
treehugger

Re: Hebden Bridge circular

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:56 am

Do you have a route map at all?

Always intrigued by the South Pennines (particularly with winter coming) but find the plenthora of paths on the maps a mine field.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby treehugger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 am

Not really. I am strictly paper maps, not sure how to do a trace on here.
But there are so many paths round there you can just make one up, hardly matters if u take a slight wrong turn, can always link up again. Supposedly there are more paths per square mile in Calderdale than anywhere else.
treehugger

Postby trailmasher » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Nice one TH :clap: I was brought up in Todmorden - 4 miles up the road from HB - and know the area well. You're right about the multitude of paths and its easy to make a good round of even doing a walk from HB and doing a high level walk to Todmorden - or vice versa HB - and fitting in Stoodley Pike on one side and Hardcastle Crags and Kebs on the other. The old stone paved pack horse routes that led to Halifax are particularly useful 8)

HB was once deemed the hippie capital of the north 8)

Thanks for posting
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby treehugger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:40 pm

I've done Stoodley Pike n Hardcastle Crags many times over the years, can assure you HB is still the hippy capital!
But what is "Kebs"?
treehugger

Postby trailmasher » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:42 pm

treehugger wrote:I've done Stoodley Pike n Hardcastle Crags many times over the years, can assure you HB is still the hippy capital!
But what is "Kebs"?

Right, Kebs is probably the local name for the bank of rocks that sit above Shore on the north side of the Todmorden to Burnley road and are probably what are correctly called Hawk Stones on the OS Map and are at SD92344 27360.

The Bride Stones at SD92914 26800 are another heap of rocks just to the east of Orchan House and was reputedly a Roman lookout post as they had a lead mine lower down the valley side above Lydgate.

'Kebs' is to be found on the high road over Stansfield Moor/Stiperden Moor and is known as 'The Long Causeway' running between HB and Burnley accessed from HB by taking the road either through Heptonstall or Blackshaw Head - beautiful country - the same road where they put up the monstrosity of Coal Clough Windfarm.

Great to hear that Flower Power still rules ok in HB :lol: :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby treehugger » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:22 am

I have done a walk called "The Bridestones" out of a book I have, bout 3 yrs ago, not sure of all the details without checking but I do remember being at the bridestones themselves.
Must go look at the map.................... :crazy:
treehugger

Postby beefy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:07 am

Great pics TH
It's your round btw :lol:
beefy

Postby treehugger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:32 am

Round what? Where did u spring from, lol.
treehugger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland