walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gloomy around Settle

Gloomy around Settle

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:07 am

Date walked: 02/12/2017

Time taken: 5.05

Distance: 26.9 km

Ascent: 1020m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After all the good weather last week it was clear Saturday wasn't going to be as good but the forecast was sill relatively decent. Mild (ish), light winds and some sun.

The sun never materialised and the low cloud stayed all day making this a fairly cheerless (and at times dull and wet underfoot) trek around the Dales.

Annoyed to miss the obvious turning to add Black Hill to the day's agenda and attempted to make it right before deciding I was on a hiding to nothing and giving up the ghost - a hill to come back to.

1 HIgh Hill.JPG
High Hill. The first objective of the day reached by road out of Settle then steeply up by the wall.

2 HIgh Hill.JPG
High Hill summit

3 WK and Attermire.JPG
Looking at Warrendale Knots and Attermire Scar - a fascinating, craggy area made no worse by the misty weather

4 Trig WK.JPG
Warrendale Knotts Trig (with the nearby cairn being clearly higher)

5 Langcliffe track.JPG
Gloomy on the good Pennine Bridleway to Langscar Gate. I missed the turning to Black Hill along this.

6 Kirkby Fell.JPG
Kirkby Fell summit. Wet underfoot to get here.

7 Grizedales.JPG
It's better underfoot on Graizedales and it briefly looked like the mist may lift

8 RLH.JPG
Rye Loaf Hill Trig

9 Scalebar Force.JPG
After an unpleasant descent back to the road (wet ground, barbed wire fences and cattle) I visited Scaleber Force

10 Track.JPG
It was clear now the mist wouldn't lift and I was tempted to head back but stuck with the original plan and followed the good track towards Hunter Bark

11 Hunter Bark.JPG
Hunter Bark Trig. Reached by crossing another barbed wire fence. The summit is pretty clearly another mound further back though so no real need to go as far as this unless you are bagging Trigs

12 Final descent.JPG
Final descent back to Settle on a gloomy day
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland