walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine on the Topping

Sunshine on the Topping

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Date walked: 03/12/2017

Time taken: 4.25

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 550m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: Gisborough Moor.
Date: 03/12/2017.
Distance: 18 km.
Ascent: 550m.
Time: 4 hours, 15 minutes.
Weather: Sunny, mild, calm.

With no car just now, I was pleased to discover some reasonable train times available for getting to the hills on a Sunday - no mean feat at this time of year. Although it isn't very far, it takes a good 80 minutes or so for the train to wind down the coast from Sunderland to the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors. I got off at Great Ayton shortly before midday and started walking up the road in strong sunshine - it was perfect t-shirt weather after a few days of low temperatures :D .

Map Sunday.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Roseberry Topping from the train

Great Ayton station

I was soon off the road and onto a footpath. It looked like a good plan on the map, but on the edge of the moors, the paths are often squeezed between a hedge and a barbed wire fence, and with the amount of snowmelt, the going was extremely muddy and slippery for a short while. In fact it wasn't long before I'd slid on my arse and covered myself in mud!

I went up the end of a small rise above Cliff Rig Quarry which had a good view of Roseberry Topping - not a Marilyn, but my main reason for choosing this route. It looked fantastic.

The Topping

To the west I was looking into hazy sunshine, so it was hard to appreciate the likes of Cringle Moor and Urra Moor, where I had originally planned to go.

Western Cleveland hills

There was another slide along a narrow footpath to reach the final ascent of Roseberry Topping, after which things got much nicer. Unsurprisingly on such a fantastic Sunday afternoon, it was very busy, feeling like a more rural Arthur's Seat.

Approaching Roseberry Topping

The summit

North

Final approach across the fields

Lost or exploring?

Busy at the top

The way ahead to Newton Moor looked enticing, and once away from the main Topping path, the going was much quieter.

Gisborough Moor

Across the fields to Teeside

Leaving the top

Looking over Hutton Wood

Newton Moor

Back to Roseberry Topping

After a short ascent, I looked for somewhere to stop for lunch. Out of the breeze, it was warm enough to sit around for a good 10 minutes in t-shirt and shorts.

Quite a contrast - Teeside from the moors

Back again

An easy and uneventful walk took me over to Highcliff Nab - another good viewpoint. My only other visit to the Moors had been to go orienteering about 20 years ago. I thought I might have bagged the Marilyn of Gisborough Moor back then without knowing, but I definitely didn't. We were mostly in the trees of Lower Hutton Wood, and the highest point is a long way back onto the moorland.

Parascender

Highcliff Nab

Approaching the Nab

North to Hartlepool

It was now time to turn southward and into the interior after looking out across Teeside for much of the afternoon. The moors in themselves aren't that exciting - just the same vast expanses of heather as many other upland areas, but the dales are really attractive, and turning away from the urban sprawl of Teeside felt like entering a different world.

South across the moors

Trig point on Gisborough Moor - so landrovers are OK then?

After passing the trig point, it was a long easy wander on a landrover track to reach the highest point. There were plenty of grouse about.

Across to the western moors

The sun began dropping as I left the summit, at which point the temperature went down a fair bit. Suddenly a jacket seemed like a good idea! The next section of track was full of slushy snow which slowed me down a bit, but after I turned a corner it was clear.

All the snow has gone except where I want to walk

Descending to Whiteley Beck

I could've got the train home from Commondale but I would have had longer to wait. Also the pub there apparently didn't serve any real ale - par for the course in the Highlands perhaps, but a major turnoff in the county that prides itself the most in having good beer. Fortunately it was an easy walk along a track to Castleton in the gathering gloom, where there was just time for a pint of Black Sheep in the pub adjacent to the station.

Last light over Westerdale Moor

Sunset

Quick pint

...then onto the train at Castleton Moor

Rather a short day out by my standards, but an enjoyable one. A friend has suggested the Lyke Wake walk in January, traversing the entire width of the Moors, which should inject the required amount of misery back into proceedings!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Sunshine on the Topping

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Topping is a fine hill, even if it ain't so big. Your pics provided a vicarious visit after the first one over 50 years ago!

So fine pics there, especially the penultimate one :D

Ref Lyke Wake walk: I also did that as a young scout. In the middle of summer it was still pretty boggy for long stretches, so I can't imagine what it'd be like in damp winter!!! Also, it took us 12.5 hours, excluding a couple of 30 minute food stops, and we were fairly cracking on; so I would imagine you would be doing a fair bit of it in the dark...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:45 pm

well that was lovely Malky - you should have popped into us for a cup of tea - I have only twice that I recall been on the Topping without people there and that was the middle of the night one time and in thick snow the other. It's a great hill. Not quite like An Teallach but has its own charm.
I did the Lyke Wake when I was 13 or so, sponsored. I literally could not walk the next day. If you go really fast you can stop at the Lion for lunch.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby treehugger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 am

Nice pics :clap:
And well done for sorting out a train walk, its a very scenic line, that :D
treehugger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland