walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter Pendle and Worsaw Hills from Downham

Winter Pendle and Worsaw Hills from Downham

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Date walked: 11/12/2017

Time taken: 3.3

Distance: 17.2 km

Ascent: 1019m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After working at weekend I had Monday off and this had a much more settled forecast, promising a cold day of blue skies with plenty of snow underfoot.

I was in no rush to set off with the roads busy and icy and I also needed to be home before last light to give my car a clean ahead of an MOT so opted to stay relatively local.

I like to visit Pendle Hill at least once a year so decision made. I'd park in Downham - and avoid the worst of the icy roads - and climb it from that side which I'd never done before and I'd try and include little Worsaw Hill (a mini Pendle Hill) in the route.

Gorgeous few hours and very pleasant walking in the snow.

1 Worsaw Hill.JPG
Worsaw Hill - short and steep. Stripped of snow on this side but icy underfoot.

2 Towards the Dales from WH.JPG
Looking towards the Dales from Worsaw Hill

3 Pendle Hill.JPG
Pendle Hill ahead

4 Ascending the hill - cold on this side.JPG
I ascended via the Burst Clough route. Quite a nice way up albeit on the cold side today.

5 Scout Cairn.JPG
Much warmer on higher ground as I reach the Scout Cairn

6 Snowy plateau.JPG
Lovely conditions

7 Summit ahead.JPG
Summit ahead.

8 Trig.JPG
Trig Point. Love it up here.

9 Bowland fells.JPG
Bowland Fells

10 distant Snowdonia.JPG
I could see everything today including a distant Snowdonia

11 descent track.JPG
The descent towards Ogden Clough

12 Clough.JPG
Ogden Clough

13 Clough.JPG
I followed the Clough all the way down to the Reservoirs. Quite a steep valley in parts with a thin path firstly along the right side and later the left side

14 Higher Og Res.JPG
Upper Ogden Reservoir - freezing here

15 Lower Og Res in view.JPG
Lower Ogden Reservoir from near Buttock

16 Along the flank.JPG
Heading along the flank of the East face of the hill

17 Icy Barley Route.JPG
Barley Route ahead. To get back to my car I had to reascend this almost to the summit. Being the most popular and steepest route up the hill it is stepped - which were iced over today. I kept well to the right of them on grassy ground.

18 Descending the Downham route.JPG
Descending to the Hookcliffe Plantation and Downham
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:85   Corbetts:15
Grahams:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:272
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland