walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Valleys of Green and Grey

Valleys of Green and Grey

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Moel-yr-hydd, Moelwyn Bach, Moelwyn Mawr

Date walked: 07/08/2017

Time taken: 6

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 658m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A return to Wales following a few years away saw us staying in Blaenau Ffestiniog, a town famous for slate, zip wires and rain. On the Sunday morning we had hoped to pop up Manod Mwar as it was just over the road from us and just a few short miles to the top and back. The weather had other ideas however as it turned up early and with a vengeance. I've seen rain, and I've seen heavy rain but the rain on Sunday was of biblical levels as the local wildlife started to pair up and form a queue and the small water fall up the street turned into Niagra in spate. We battened down the hatches and stayed in the cottage all day and made do with making a start on a 1000 piece mazzle of the Central Lake District.

Sometime overnight the rain relented and Monday saw a complete transformation as blue skies with fluffy clouds dominated the scene. :D You don't have to go far to walk up a mountain in Blaunau Ffestiniog but rather than the dull looking lumps over the road we made the very short drive, (we were on holiday :wink: ) to Tanygrisiau to take in the Moelwyns.

We found a convenient place to park above the village and set off up the road to the reservoir. My research into this walk suggested that the way up onto the hills from here was up a disused incline that passes through a short tunnel but we decided that it looked very steep and lose so kept going in the hope that the public right of way was actually a path up the hillside. This turned out following searching about for awhile to be a mistake. Even at this point going back down to the incline was probably the best option but we decided to head on up the rough pathless hillside bereft of even sheep trods :roll:

ImageOn the track heading up Llyn Stwlan by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe tunnel at the top of the incline just visible by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageManod Flyby by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking over to Blaenau Ffestiniog by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageIvor the Engine by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClogwyn yr Oen by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageIntrusions running through the rocks by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Alpine flowers.........possibly by Anthony Young, on Flickr

As the steepness relented the ground was quite wet for a before an old mine track was discovered to take us around the base of Moel-yr-hydd's crags. The going was now easy until an obvious easy gully with some very mild scrambling took us up to the grassy slopes of our first hill. When seen from the town Moel-yr-Hydd looks like a very fine viewpoint and in actuality it doesn't disappoint with terrific views in every direction from its grassy plateau. We sat and had some rations and admired the extensive panorama on offer. Some of the higher mountains were moving in and out of cloud adding some drama to the views from this superb lunch stop.

ImageWorst of the rough stuff over with by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrags of Moel-yr Hydd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie takes a breather by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHeading up the easy gully by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards the Moelwyns by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLight and shade on the Cnicht by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA valley of Green and Grey by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMoel-yr-Hydd summit rocks by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards Moel Druman by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAllt-fwar and Llyn Cwmorthin by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDramatic skies towards Crib Goch by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHaving a stretch by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We retraced out steps down the hill side and then had a decision to make; we could either cross some very moist looking ground to get to the main path heading up Moelwyn Mwar or carry on up the small rocky rib on the edge of the cwm. In reality it was a no brainier as the small rocky rib provided fine going under foot and some splendid views down to Lynn Stwlan, things did get a bit steep on the final grassy pull to the summit but soon enough we arrived at another magnificent viewpoint. Here the view across Cwm Croesor took centre stage with so may fine mountains well seen as well as the none pointy aspect to the Cincht.

ImageLooking back at Moel-yr-Hydd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLyn Stwlan and Moelwyn Bach by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDrama towards Moel Siabod by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMoel-yr-Hydd and Blaenau Ffestiniog by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMoelwyn Bach from the ascent of Moelwyn Mwar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMoelyn Mwar summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking across Cwm Croesor by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards the Nantle Ridge from Moelwyn Mwar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePartners in Crime by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEpic Hughie shot by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We didn't linger too long and set off for the Craigysgafn ridge which was a nice route with some minor scrambles on the way down to the col with Moelwyn Bach. The eroded path up our final top did not look too inviting but in reality it was OK and the third stellar view point of the day was reached. Here the view to Tremadoc bay and out to sea was superb and took most of the attention but as with the previous tops the views were great in all directions. Moelwyn Bach also had some fine summit rocks to sit on so we finished off our food for the day sat in the sunshine.

ImageLlyn Swalan from a gap in Craigysgafn ridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back at the simple scramble down from Moelwyn Mwar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMoelwyn Bach by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBack to the Craigysgafn Ridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMoelwyn Bach summit rocks by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTremadog Bay from Moelwyn Bach by Anthony Young, on Flickr

All good things must come to an end however so we headed back down the eroded path, which was again better than expected, before finding our way to the dam. We now had an option of a lose and slippy looking gully or crossing the dam. Unsurprisingly we crossed the dam which we found out at the other side we apparetly shouldn't have done, oh well.

ImageDam on Llyn Stwlan by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLlyn Stwlan by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDam and Moelwyn Bach by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We followed the tarmac all the way down before taking a small detour to see the falls, still in boisterous mood following yesterdays rain. This was an excellent way to get the holidays walking off to a start and most welcome following Sundays Deluge.

ImageFalls at Tanygrisiau by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Moelwyns.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Valleys of Green and Grey

Postby poppiesrara » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 pm

Beautiful photos (and a title that will evoke a great song for very few readers, I'm sure, but did for me!), JK. Look forward to seeing the rest of your holiday.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:47 am

Great photos and an interesting route round some superb and underrated hills.

And poppiesrara is right - a great song!

"The time I think most clearly, the time I drift away
Is on the bus-ride that meanders up these valleys of green and grey
I get to think about what might have been and what may yet come true
And I get to pass a rainy mile, thinking of you."
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 am

poppiesrara wrote:Beautiful photos (and a title that will evoke a great song for very few readers, I'm sure, but did for me!), JK. Look forward to seeing the rest of your holiday.

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Great photos and an interesting route round some superb and underrated hills.

And poppiesrara is right - a great song!

"The time I think most clearly, the time I drift away
Is on the bus-ride that meanders up these valleys of green and grey
I get to think about what might have been and what may yet come true
And I get to pass a rainy mile, thinking of you."

Thanks lads, Good to know my fellow walkhighlanders have such superb taste in music :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 am

Looks like a great day for it, fabulous views. As always, excellent imagery.

I must get back to this area.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby trailmasher » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Sneaking into the Welsh hills now JK eh! :lol: Well done on a great walk and some lovely photos as usual :clap: I see that Hughie managed to get off the lease and most likely leading the gang :lol: Must start the Welsh ones myself sometime :wink: Good report to boot :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Great photos of the Moelwyns JK, nice report. I've only been in these hills for the cragging, but it looks like great walking too, taking in the summits.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland