walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Boxing Day on Whitbarrow/Hampsfell

Boxing Day on Whitbarrow/Hampsfell

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Date walked: 26/12/2017

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 21.69 km

Ascent: 863m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been ill over Christmas but felt ok enough to risk a couple of shorter walks on Boxing Day.

Firstly the Marilyn Whitbarrow - the impressive scar you pass on your way to the Western Lakes from the South.

Cold with rain in the air but decent enough weather at this low height.

Mostly pleasant walking, some exceptional bits of limestone but some serious mud on the wooldland paths. The only rough bit being the out and back to bag the Anastice summit.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1 Whittbarrow ahead.JPG
Whitbarrow. Parking is nice and easy just off the A590

2 Forest start.JPG
You start through a forest and then a steeper pull up to the plateau

3 plateau rainbow.JPG
Plateau reached and the first of many rainbows during the morning

4 rainbow end and first target.JPG
As well as the main Lord's Seat Marilyn Top, Whitbarrow has a second marked summit know as Anastice where the rainbows end is hitting here. A slight loss of height then a rough pull up.

5 first target.JPG
Anastice summit

6 Cairn.JPG
Back on the main ridge now and the cairn at the Eastern end

7 ridge ahead.JPG
Ridge ahead to Lord's Seat - great walking

8 Lords Seat.JPG
Lord's Seat

9 More Rainbow.JPG
Another rainbow on the descent - I don't remember ever getting wet though!

10 Whitbarrow from near Witherslack.JPG
After a really muddy forest walk I'm now at Witherslack Hall looking at Chapel Head Scar

11 Yewbarrrow.JPG
Yewbarrow summit - the outlying fell on the other side of the valley which helps make a very pleasant round

11 a Whit again.JPG
Whitbarrow again

12 Rainbow over Whit.JPG
Rainbow over Whitbarrow

Then later Hampsfell from Grange-over-Sands. A bit of a honeypot hill on Boxing Day but with a much improved afternoon it was a joy all the way.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

13 Fell End looking to Hampsfell.JPG
Fell End cairn looking to Hampsfell. It had been slightly confusing trying to find my way out of Grange via the roads but once on the fell itself it was very easy.

14 Out to sea.JPG
Out to sea

15 Over to Arnside.JPG
Over to Arnside Knott

16 Hampsfell ahead.JPG
Hampsfell ahead

17 Hospice.JPG
Hospice on Hampsfell. Very busy so I didn't head up to the viewing area

18 Limestone Pave true summit.JPG
This limestone pavement set back from the hospice is clearly the true summit though

19 back to Hospice.JPG
Back to the Hospice. Headed down a different route which was easy enough and back for more festivities.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:85   Corbetts:15
Grahams:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:272
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland