walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Marchlyn around the Western Glyderau

Marchlyn around the Western Glyderau

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd y Filiast (Glyders), Elidir Fawr, Foel-goch (Glyders)

Date walked: 10/08/2017

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 853m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following a great afternoon on Tryfan and a consultation with the weather forecast we decided to make the most of the conditions while they lasted and have a crack at Eildir Fwar, the last of the 3,000ft Glyderau we had yet to bag. With rain set to return with a vengeance on the Friday this would be the last walking day but the forecast suggested it would be a good un so we made our way to the road up to the Marchlyn Mawr reservoir and found a suitable place beside the road to park. My research had suggested this was a good place to climb Eilder Fwar from given that apart from the reservoir and associated paraphernalia mans efforts to defile this proud mountain were out of sight.

It was quite overcast when we set off but things quickly brightened as we gained height at a steady rate up the amenable hill side. The going was good and before we knew it we had reached the flat top of Eildir Fach which provided some very fine views and also a clear look at the assortment of tracks heading off up the screes of Eildir Fach.

ImageHeading off up the Road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back towards Bethesda by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards Anglesey by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageApproaching the Summit of Eildir Fach by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLlyn Padam from Eildir Fach by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We had a short break to take in the views before picking a path and heading up the screes. The ascent was far better than it looked and we were soon on the ridge with views to Tryfan and the other Glyderau. Eildir Fwar's summit ridge has the feel of a real mountain and it's summit a worthy top for a 3,000 footer. Following a photo stop we continued on a short while before finding a suitable place for lunch. As we ate I made up my mind to head up Foel-Goch but as Grace and Nicola didn't fancy the extra effort I headed off alone with a meeting stop agreed for the shelter on Mynydd Perfedd.

ImageSleeping Stegosaurus comes into view by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEildir Fwar Summit Ridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGrace,Hughie and the 3,000ft mascot, Tad the Dog by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHeading along the Ridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was nice and easy going around Bwlch y Marchlyn and Bwlch y Brecan before a steep and at times lose pull saw me reach the summit of Foel-goch. Any regrets I may have had while puffing up to the top were gone immediately when greeted with the sunning summit view. The prospect up the Ogwen Valley with Tryfan dominating is one of my favorites I've been witness to.

ImageFoel-goch by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMachlyn Mawr Reservoir by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Eildir Fwar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way to Foel-goch by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Image...and again back to Eildir Fwar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMynydd Perfedd from the ascent of Foel-goch by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking up the Ogwen Valley from Foel-goch by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTryfan mono by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFoel-goch Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Unfortunately I couldn't linger long so I headed off back down to meet up with Nicola, Grace and Hughie on Mynydd Perfedd. This time the ascent wasn't as steep so less tiring but by the time I met up with the family again the weather was undergoing a change with low cloud encroaching upon the scene. The views slowly disappeared into the cloud ensuring our last top of the day, Carnedd y Filiast was viewless. We couldn't complain too much given every top we had visited while walking on the holiday had been clear with fine views in all directions.
As it turned out the clag was already clearing by the time we were on the way back to the reservoir and the road to the car.

ImageOn the way up Mynydd Perfedd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA change in conditions over Eildir Fwar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageViews getting hazy by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClag coming down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageStill sunny on Foel-goch by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCarnedd y Filiast Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClag gone and on the way down by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Carnedd y Filiast by Anthony Young, on Flickr

As predicted the rain turned up with a vengeance on Friday leaving us to do touristy stuff in Betws-y-Coed on the last day before the drive back north on the Sunday. Another good week spent in Snowdonia giving us plenty of reasons to return again in the future.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Marchlyn around the Western Glyderau

Postby trailmasher » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 pm

It seems like your latest skirmish into Wales was well worth the effort with a walk amongst some great hills that are reflected in your photos of this day out. Good report and great pics as usual :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm

trailmasher wrote:It seems like your latest skirmish into Wales was well worth the effort with a walk amongst some great hills that are reflected in your photos of this day out. Good report and great pics as usual :clap:

Cheers TM, you think you might make your way sample more of Snowdonia's charms in 2018?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby davekermito » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Super photos as ever!

Spent a lovely week at Ty Mawr, the cottage almost at the top of the road to the Marchlyn reservoirs. Absolutely amazed that this route isn't more popular! Happy memories as it was my son's first Welsh 3000 route - he ran to the top of Elidir Fawr as a (just turned) 5 year old! Me and his granddad had to watch in awe!

davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Postby trailmasher » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Cheers TM, you think you might make your way sample more of Snowdonia's charms in 2018?

I hope to get a skirmish or two into Wales this year. E not keen on Wales so a good excuse to have some 'man time' when I'm allowed :lol: :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby malky_c » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Did a similar round a couple of weeks later. I've tended to dismiss this end of the Glyderau ridge, but it's only uninteresting in comparison to Tryfan and the Glyderau themselves. With a bit of sunshine and visibility, I'd forgotten how good the views were across the Nant Ffrancon and Llyn Ogwen :) .

Glad you liked Snowdonia. I grew up on Anglesey so am always biased towards it over the Lakes :lol: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:53 pm

davekermito wrote:Super photos as ever!

Spent a lovely week at Ty Mawr, the cottage almost at the top of the road to the Marchlyn reservoirs. Absolutely amazed that this route isn't more popular! Happy memories as it was my son's first Welsh 3000 route - he ran to the top of Elidir Fawr as a (just turned) 5 year old! Me and his granddad had to watch in awe!

Cheers Dave, that sounds a great place to stay. Always great to see little'uns on the hills :D

trailmasher wrote:

I hope to get a skirmish or two into Wales this year. E not keen on Wales so a good excuse to have some 'man time' when I'm allowed :lol: :lol:

We've always enjoyed everything about Wales, what's not to like? I look forward to your reports of your cross border raids.

malky_c wrote:Did a similar round a couple of weeks later. I've tended to dismiss this end of the Glyderau ridge, but it's only uninteresting in comparison to Tryfan and the Glyderau themselves. With a bit of sunshine and visibility, I'd forgotten how good the views were across the Nant Ffrancon and Llyn Ogwen :) .

Glad you liked Snowdonia. I grew up on Anglesey so am always biased towards it over the Lakes :lol: .

I remember the report, it's our third visit to Snowdonia and we always leave wanting more. It's certainly better in many ways than the Lakes but Lakeland is my hill walking home, it'll always be vey special to me.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland