walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra from Mungrisdale

Blencathra from Mungrisdale

Postby davekermito » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell, Souther Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 08/07/2017

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 991m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another one from the archive (sorry!)

I've wanted to walk up Blencathra many times. Particularly the classic Halls Fell or Sharp Edge Route. So I went and spoilt it all by walking up from Mungrisdale in the pursuit of Hewitts. Felt I gave this wonderful hill a disservice, but still a cracking day all the same!

Starting from the Mill in Mungrisdale, it starts by following the Gleneramacking before taking the obvious path to the shallow pass between Bowscale Fell and Bannerdale Crags. This is where I met the largest group of aggressive ewes! :D Despite Jake being on his lead, I was the victim of many head butts from protective moms! One of those moments that is equal parts scary and hilarious! The climb up to Bowscale Fell, was a gentle stroll (particularly when aided up the hill by Lakeland's most persuasive ewe!

From the top of Bowscale it's back down to the pass and up the Bannerdale Crags, a lovely place but one you question whether Hewitt status is deserved!

From here the route up Foule Crag up to the main top is super. Staying on the edge, overlooking Sharp Edge it's a simple but scenic stroll, right up over the saddle to the proper top. Narrow Edge looking a wonderful way to climb up. However, it was back via Scales Fell and then up and over Souther Fell to the car.

Possibly not the purists route up but still a good way to tick off 3 more!

Bannerdale Crags and Blencathra from Bowscale Fell.

Looking down Bannerdale

Blencathra from Bannerdale Crags

Tarn in the middle of the Saddle

Halls Fell (main top) and Derwent Water

Thirlmere

Looking up to Sharp Edge
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: Blencathra from Mungrisdale

Postby Mendonca » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Another cracking report Davekermito
Mendonca
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:125   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland