walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

You can't always get what you want....

You can't always get what you want....

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:43 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Calders, The Calf

Date walked: 05/11/2017

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 588m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having sustained an injury coming down the back o'skidda on my last hill outing I'd been staying off the fells to give it time to recover. To amuse myself in an outdoorsy way I'd been trying to get out plenty locally with the camera with differering levels of luck in terms of light. A fine weather forecast and a civilised sunrise time saw me deciding something more ambitious than my immediate area was in order so I got up at 5:00A.M. and headed across the A66 to park up at the small Cumbrian hamlet of Cautley.

My plan was to head up the valley till I found an elevated viewpoint and wait for the sun to break over the horizon, illuminating the scene leaving me to snap away capturing some wonderful dramatic images of this great location. As I made my way along the path, following some early promise it was looking like my best laid plans were to be scuppered as the only area of the sky that had anything other than light broken clouds was to the south west where the sun was due to rise. :roll: I soldiered on and found a nice composition and waited........ and waited........ and waited. :( I did my best with what I had but eventually it was obvious the light wasn't coming to the party, feeling frustrated I headed upwards and soon reached the top of the falls.

ImageEarly Promise by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSwarth Fell illuminated by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHolme is where the Heart is by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking to the top of the falls by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageStairway to Heaven by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrossing Swere Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Had I not glanced up Red Gill Beck and saw warm morning light high on the hill side I'd have probably descended there and then and carried out part two of my plan which was to explore down by Cautley Holme Beck and then drive to Scaleber Force Near Settle for more photos. As it was the sight drew me up the path towards the summit of The Calf, I was in all honesty, helpless to resist, the hill tops were calling! :D

By this time I had realised I'd forgot my bottle of water :roll: which was back in the car, but as it was chilly I'd probably not get too thirsty anyway so I happily ascended towards the light and was well rewarded as I reached the col with a terrific view across to the Coniston Fells bathed in sunshine and shadows. I wandered about the plateau taking in the summits of The Calf and Calders wishing I'd just headed straight up here rather than waiting for what never came back in the valley. The ridges of the fells were being highlighted beautifully in the morning light with the view from Calders being quite stunning but very difficult to capture given the intensity and direction of the sun.

ImageConiston Fells across the Eden Valley by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNorthern Lovesong by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards the Far Eastern Fells by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Calf Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThree Ridges by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to Bowderdale Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrinkle Crags Takes Center Stage by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Howgills by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageYarlside from Bram Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageViews to the North West by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTaking it all in by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRays over Rawthey by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCalders Summit Fence by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageElysian Fields by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBroad Ridges by Anthony Young, on Flickr

All of a sudden it seemed, I realized I was cold from the wind, hungry, tired from the early start and thirsty, not a great combination, so I started to head down by following a path to the North of Great Dummacks. This soon faded away so it was a bit of rough ground to cross before getting back to the path by Red Gill Beck. By the time I was descending alongside Cautley Spout I was quite taken by the brightly lit trees against the shadowy falls so I spent a bit of time capturing this before making my way back to the car to drain my water bottle.

ImageRed Gill Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLight and Shade by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCautley Holme Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Cautley Spout by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hanging On by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Life by the Drop by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDown in the Valley by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCautley Spout and Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRiver Rawthey at Cautley by Anthony Young, on Flickr

With my thirst quenched I decided hunger was next so rather than drive to Sedburgh or back to Kirkby Stephen I wandered along to the Cross Keys to see what was on offer. Walking into the Cross Keys is like passing back in time with the only consessions to modernity being a credit card machine and a modern looking phone. You can imagine the place looking just about identical to when Alfred Wainwright stopped here for egg and chips during the writing of his Howgills Fells guide. I ordered a pot of tea and an all day breakfast and sat in front of the roaring fire to await my repast. I was sharing the room with four other people, three ladies of few words and one elderly chap who was recanting the great conspiracy involving electric cars, smart meters, the Internet, mobile phones and climate change he had stumbled upon. I kept my silence, not pointing out that what he was describing was a very sensible plan for managing our dwindling resources in the future, and not a dispicable plan hatched by the green lobby, politicians and anybody else he didn't trust in order to rob us blind.

I think the waitress must have heard this all before as she took pity upon me and showed me to a back room with a wonderful view up to Cautley Spout to have my food. Sat in peace I scoffed my protein (not a hint of a vegetable anywhere near the plate :lol: ) and thought that old AW himself may well have sat in this very seat eating his egg and chips taking in the view. The Cross Keys certainly has old world charm a plenty and is worth a visit for a cuppa, don't expect a pint however as it is still strictly a temperance inn.

I decided to bin off my plans to visit Scalaber Force happy in the excellent morning I'd enjoyed. Sometimes things not going to plan can end up with something far more rewarding, to paraphrase the Rolling Stones.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: You can't always get what you want....

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:00 pm

That light is special, but the way you've handled it is even better. Lovely images.

All day breakfast sounds flippin' good too!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dav2930 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:36 pm

A truly outstanding set of photographs. Makes me realise how amateurish my paltry efforts are by comparison. Each of your images is the result of patience, studied consideration and careful composition. One of these days I'll have to try going for a walk for the purpose of photography, rather than just taking a camera on a walk. Brilliant :clap:

The Cross Keys sounds good (never been in it), though I don't think I could have stomached that chap with his conspiracy theories either. A sad case of Daily Mail brainwashing by the sound of it. :roll:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:14 am

Always the same set of fantastic pics - really amazing. Funnily enough, I was telling my CEO about your pics just this evening, comparing them to my pretty feeble efforts.

Invidious to pick out any in particular really, but I just love the one of the Coniston Hills, and also "Elysian Fields". Great stuff! A joy to behold, really.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby trailmasher » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Great set of photos taken :clap: on a great day out in some of the finest fells about our green and pleasant lands :) Hard to pick a favourite but tend to agree with AK if I had to make a choice :) Well worth the wait and the walk up to The Calf :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby thefallwalker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Nice photo's but i have to ask, do you see other peoples posts and then copy there walks? All your walks seem to follow on from what other walkers have done and then you do really good pics of their walks? are you a photographer or a walker
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   

Postby nigheandonn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:49 pm

But you might just get what you need?

Gorgeous photos as always - I love the shapes of the Howgills.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Mal Grey wrote:That light is special, but the way you've handled it is even better. Lovely images.

All day breakfast sounds flippin' good too!

Cheers Mal it was a beautiful morning to be on the tops, the breakfast was good but I personally would have preferred a grilled tomato and few mushrooms with it :)

dav2930 wrote:A truly outstanding set of photographs. Makes me realise how amateurish my paltry efforts are by comparison. Each of your images is the result of patience, studied consideration and careful composition. One of these days I'll have to try going for a walk for the purpose of photography, rather than just taking a camera on a walk. Brilliant :clap:

The Cross Keys sounds good (never been in it), though I don't think I could have stomached that chap with his conspiracy theories either. A sad case of Daily Mail brainwashing by the sound of it. :roll:

You are too kind Dav, it did help being on my tod with no distractions. Photos are normally secondary when I go for a walk but I suppose this started out as photography trip that turned into a walk.

The old chap summed up what a lot of folks are like nowadays and not just pensioners. The distrust of learned people, in this case climate scientists, is to me quite alarming. If somebody has a PhD or doctorate in something they deserve to be fully respected when they speak in there chosen field.

Alteknacker wrote:Always the same set of fantastic pics - really amazing. Funnily enough, I was telling my CEO about your pics just this evening, comparing them to my pretty feeble efforts.

Invidious to pick out any in particular really, but I just love the one of the Coniston Hills, and also "Elysian Fields". Great stuff! A joy to behold, really.

You are most kind and wise Alte, thank you very much :D

trailmasher wrote:Great set of photos taken :clap: on a great day out in some of the finest fells about our green and pleasant lands :) Hard to pick a favourite but tend to agree with AK if I had to make a choice :) Well worth the wait and the walk up to The Calf :clap:

Thank you kindly TM, I never tire of the Howgills.

thefallwalker wrote:Nice photo's but i have to ask, do you see other peoples posts and then copy there walks? All your walks seem to follow on from what other walkers have done and then you do really good pics of their walks? are you a photographer or a walker

Really not sure what to make of your first question or what you're trying to imply :? There are no original routes up British hills and yes I may get inspired to walk a particular hill from a walk report but given I climbed Tryfan in the summer by a route I didn't know existed till I started up it the answer would have to be a resounding no. I've walked in the Howgills on many occasions and have never slavishly copied another posters walks. In fact I think my report on Carlin gill was the first on this forum, not that it maters.

As for am I a walker or a photographer? Can I not be both?

nigheandonn wrote:But you might just get what you need?

Gorgeous photos as always - I love the shapes of the Howgills.

Thank you very much, I find the Howgills very soothing, helps that I always seem to find them in a very friendly mood.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland