walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A5 Arenigs

A5 Arenigs

Postby davekermito » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd y Filiast (Arenigs), Foel Goch (Arenigs)

Date walked: 04/02/2018

Time taken: 6

Distance: 16.1 km

Ascent: 980m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Do you ever get one of those days?

Been off with a bad cold, chesty cough and a severe case of lethargy?

And then you look at your Hewitt map and think, perhaps those two boring looking ones could be done whilst the bogs are frozen over. Well if that's your almost unique chain of thoughts welcome to my world. Today was the day that Carnedd y Filiast and Foel Goch got attacked from the A5 side.

Really had low hopes for these two!

CyF.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So the first was Carnedd y Filiast.

Parking at the end of a long road from Cerrigdrudion, it was a case of following the track to an obvious summit pass and then tracking the quad tracks through the wintery heather. Once up to the ridge it was a case of avoid the peat hags and pools but generally follow the fence to the top. Whilst not a classic route, the views from Snowdonia 'proper' to the South of the region were excellent under snow. A simple there and back in less than a couple of hours - snow and frost helping the walk across the bogs no end! :lol:

Foel_Goch_.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

And then Foel Goch.

I think this is the third or fourth Foel Goch I've encountered on the Hewitt bashing series! This one is a simple case of following farm tracks up to a couple of hundred feet short of the summit and then guessing a route through tussocky grass and heather. Not exactly a classic. We'll ignore the walk up the earlier public footpath only to be faced with barbed wire, angry dogs and the type of landowner that gives this region of Wales a bad name - oh well!

And now some photos - don't get too excited!

Typical terrain!

Misty looking Carnedd y Ffilisast

Jake at the top of Carnedd y Ffiliast

Carneddau from the country boundary stone.

Foel Goch summit

An another one

OK not the most exciting day but it's turned two very annoying red ones blue!
Last edited by davekermito on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: Two Remaining Arenigs

Postby PauloUK77 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Nice report, I enjoy these types of hills due to being able to have them all to myself.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Two Remaining Arenigs

Postby davekermito » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:40 pm

Thanks Paulo

Totally agree so I had to double take when I saw someone coming up Foel Goch. Despite perfect conditions she was the only person I saw all day!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: A5 Arenigs

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:37 am

What a superb day, and pics to capture it!

Glad to learn that Carnedd-y-filiast is straightforward from the south. Due to thigh-deep heather, I found it one of the hardest summits I've done approaching from the west last summer...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland