walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First taste of Roseberry Topping

First taste of Roseberry Topping

Postby Pastychomper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 am

Date walked: 11/02/2018

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 6.58 km

Ascent: 268m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On a weekend tour of England I didn't think I'd have time for any hills but my brother dropped the name of Roseberry Topping, which I'd seen for the first time on WH a few weeks before. Somehow he ended up introducing it to me on the Sunday afternoon.

Our first good view of it was from the west, showing off a rocky head on an apparently conical hill. I commented that it looked like a pocket-sized Maiden Pap. We stopped at a convenient free car park and headed north onto the top of Ayton Bank, passing a brave mountain biker on her way down. I was in church shoes and was glad the paths were mostly dry.

Rosebrry-approach.jpg
View from the southeast - not so conical after all.

We approached the Topping from the east, going down and up a rocky path.
Roseberry-approach2.JPG
The way up

At the top was the most impressive - in fact the only - bit of trig art I've seen.
trig_art.JPG
May there be many more.

The weather was mostly clear with a few clouds, allowing excellent views in all directions. I'm no longer used to seeing so many built-up areas in a landscape.
back_east.JPG
The way we came

S_from_topping.JPG
View south...

W_from_topping.JPG
...west...

N_from_topping.JPG
...and the other way.

There is an old hunting shelter, restored in the 80s, on the way down the south side. Given some shutters and a bit more latitude it would make a good bothy - there's even something resembling a chimney in one corner.
bothy.JPG
The shelter

The track away from the hill was pretty squelchy.
looking_back.JPG
Back along the track

From there we went through a farmyard and followed the driveway through a nice patch of woodland, over a stream, and onto a road whose hedges were laden with ivy instead of lichen. It all struck me as very English - I'm afraid I may be going native after 9 years north of the border! :shock:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Re: First taste of Roseberry Topping

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 am

Great little hill :clap:
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby Pastychomper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:18 pm

yes, every town should have at least one good hill nearby. 8)
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby trailmasher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Welcome to WH and the English hills :) Nice report and pics :clap: Just a few miles further south there are some great hills to wander about on 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Not a bad hill, is it? I remember seeing it years ago on a brief visit to the area, but only managed to get up it at the end of last year. Have to admit I didn't spot the trig point art though :oops:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby KatTai » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:31 am

This is near where I grew up! Roseberry Topping was a place we went to often. Was up there a few years ago and the trig point wasn't looking so pretty though - it was completely covered in graffiti!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby mrssanta » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:49 pm

this is our twice a week training hill. There's nearly always someone on the top, but many possible routes up and down. It's a good wee hill
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland