walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Tundra - South Wales style

The Tundra - South Wales style

Postby davekermito » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:08 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen Allt-mawr, Pen Cerrig-calch, Twmpa

Date walked: 25/02/2018

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16.6 km

Ascent: 776m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

aka The Beast From the East vs The Pest From the West (Midlands)

I was looking at my South Wales remaining Hewitts and wondered which ones to do on a half day excursion in what promised to be rather 'Polar' conditions. MWIS promised windchill in excess of -20C so remembering the struggle I had in the bogs of the Waun Fach horseshoe and the fact I descended without completing the last two it would seem ideal conditions!

Throwing in a quick ascent of Twmpa from Gospel Pass on my way down from the Midlands made it seem like a worthwhile journey.

Part One - Half hour run up Twmpa and back.

Thanking myself lucky that whilst it was -6C - the Gospel Pass was remarkably ice free, this route was a simple case of following a very easy gradient obvious pass to the top. Sticking to the edge of the escarpment, it was pleasant despite the strengthening wind! Up and down in no time; and another one turned blue. And being a HMHB fan - no guesses to what song was going around my head all the time!

Jake getting buffeted on top of Twmpa.

Part Two - Pen Allt-mawr and Pen Cerrig-calch

BM1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last time I was amongst the Waun Fach horseshoe, it rained consistently for 8 hours and most of the day was spent knee deep in black peaty sludge. As such, I bypassed the last two and had an long lasting bad memory of the place.

How different today was! Following a clear path from 'the bend in the road' heading towards Crug Hywel (aka Table Mountain) and then diverting to Pen Cerrig-calch, the rock hard ground was an absolute pleasure to follow up to the surprisingly rocky top. However the wind was getting stronger and stronger, and whilst the ground conditions were perfect it was getting tricky to stay on the feet! Super views through the haze to the main Brecon Beacons, ensured the drop down and 'climb' back up to Pen Allt-Mawr was a stroll.

The wind was now strong enough to blow me over a couple of times - and I'm not a lightweight, so I didn't hang about on the reasonably sharp descent of Pen Allt-Mawr. :lol:

Whilst the 1:25000 shows an obvious path back down to the valley, there is no sign of it on the ground so it was up to the minor top of Pen Twyn Glas (a Nuttall) and then follow the ridge back all the way to the car following the obvious signs through the farm land.

All in all 10 miles in the Black Mountains and my boots were as clean as they were at the start - result!

The other side of the Waun Fach horseshoe

Sugarloaf from the route up to Table Mountain. South Wales via Brazil and South Africa!

Brecon Beacons from Pen Cerrig-calch

Waun Fach and co.

View from Pen Allt-Mawr

Wondering how this tree could grow so big and strong in the conditions!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: The Tundra - South Wales style

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm

Looks like superb weather - if a shade chilly!

I have these in mind as part of a multi-day route in summer...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby davekermito » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Chuck the 'part 2' in as part of the Waun Fach horseshoe and (ground conditions notwithstanding) it's a nice simple way to stay above 2000 foot for 10+ miles!

Certainly refreshing today though! :lol:
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:00 pm

I have mixed memories of the Black Mountains, but there were definitely some good bits in there somewhere. I seem to remember Pen Allt-mawr and Pen Cerrig-calch being nice, then things got a bit grotty after Waun Fach. They look better there than when I visited though 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby onsen » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:47 am

Thought the name rang a bell, had to dust off an old Black mountains map & check the winter route I took eons ago....still remember my tent being flattened, wildly flapping around while I just laid there warm & dry, being massage by the wind gusts throughout the night....it was a long night. :wink:
Enjoyable read & pics, thanks for triggering a distant memory. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland