walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Getting High on Low Fell

Getting High on Low Fell

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:31 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Binsey, Fellbarrow, Low Fell

Date walked: 04/02/2018

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 680m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

You often see beautiful sights when driving to places like the Lake District but far too often you either can't stop or resist the temptation to do so, carrying on to your day in the hills. Perhaps it was the fact I had a easy day planned that saw me stop a couple of times following my comfort break at Reghed to try and capture the beautiful morning that had broken. Low sunlight, floating mist and one or two fells within sight were enough to tempt me into a couple of stops in laybys on the A66.

ImageSunrise from the A66 by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLittle Mell Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMorning has Broken by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMisty Morning by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat Mell Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Mighty Blencathra by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I could have possibly spent longer stopping and messing about taking photos but with Hughie getting agitated I resisted all future temptations and headed for Thackthwaite in Lorton Vale. The normal way I'd head for here would be across the Whinlatter Pass but with sub zero overnight temperatures combined with the fact it was probably untreated I elected to continue on the A66, a bit longer perhaps, better safe that sorry.

By the time I found a place to dump the car just outside of Thackthwaite it was later than I'd hoped. The photo stops and missing the turn off on the A66 :roll: had put me back a bit meaning my plans of climbing Dodd after Low Fell and Fellbarrow might well have to be altered. Still it was a stunning morning and a time to not worry about anything other than climbing the pleasant grassy lumps ahead of me. :D

Another ten minutes later, following a ridiculous episode that saw me somehow lose my GPS in the boot of my car, :oops: :lol: we set off up the pleasant route through the fields. Views quickly opened up and given how fine they were I decided to follow the track up to the old quarry rather than the main route which would quickly lose the prospect over the lovely Vale of Lorton. Following an easy well graded trod up to the old workings things steepened but the going was good and an excuse to stop and take in the views hardly needed a second invitation.

ImageHeading out of Thackthwaite by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking towards the High Stile Range by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMorning light through the Trees by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA little mist over Cummock Water by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGround Starting to Steepen by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLorton Vale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWhiteside and Hopegill Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw across the Vale of Lorton by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrummock Water Mono by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Soon enough the lumpy grassy ridge was attained and it was a very easy wander in surprisingly warm conditions along to Low Fell. The true summit of this hill has nice views but you would be missing out if you stopped here, a little further along, the southern top gives a glorious prospect taking in Loweswater, Crummock Water, the Buttermere Fells, Vale of Lorton, The North Western Fells to name but a few of the fine sights on offer. I stayed here for a while unwilling to tear myself away, putting myself even further behind my timetable for the day but what's the point of climbing a fell if you can't enjoy being at the top?

ImageLow Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Looking back to Skiddaw once again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLow Fell Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCriffell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross to Whiteside again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA local taking in the Views by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWhat was she looking at? by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe South Loweswater Fells from Low Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLow Fell South Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClassic Low Fell View over Crummock Water by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrummock Water close up by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I eventually dragged myself away and retraced my steps back over the true top of Low Fell before turning off up to Sourfoot Fell, a Birkett which I'd missed out upon last time. This is an unremarkable top with a surprisingly steep descent as you head for Fellbarrow. A little wet ground and a short pull later me and Hughie arrived at Fellbarrow summit thankfully sans cows but complete with a banana skin adorning the top of the cairn :roll: I removed the said item for correct disposal and headed off for the final Birkett I'd yet to bag in these parts.

ImageNorth Western Fells from the way to Fellbarrow by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFellbarrow Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDead Tree by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie on Hatteringill Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw from Hatteringill Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOld Quarry on Hatteringill Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hatteringill Head is a pleasant place which gives very extensive views to the North all the way to Bonnie Scotland. The fell has few features apart from evidence of an old quarry/mine workings on its Southern aspect but it was still a worthy diversion before heading back to the car. I headed across the open fellside towards the track back towards Thackthwaite, the going was good apart from the idiots who thought it was a good idea to yell and wave arms about even though they were perfectly healthy and obviously not in need of assistance :roll: Had the ground been of a more serious nature somebody could have been tricked into an unnecessary diversion, hopefully somebody caught up with them to inform them of the error of there ways and potential consequences.

ImageOn the way back to Thackthwaite by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the main track by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMoody Grasmoor by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I hadn't eaten yet so I had my rations in the car and decided that Dodd was going to have to be ignored (given all the forestry works probably a good thing) and headed for Binsey.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

One day I will include Binsey in a proper route which it deserves but today was not to be that day. A simple tromp up the grassy/muddy path took us to the top to take in the brilliant views. The Northern fells are particularly well seen with Skiddaw's best side being shown off nicely. It had been a good day, I'd be lying if I didn't feel a tinge of regret at not heading higher and into the white stuff but sometimes you just have to listen to what your body tells you and act accordingly.

ImageBack o'skidda fells from the Binsey track by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSummit Cairn on Binsey by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBinsey Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw's best side by Anthony Young, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Getting High on Low Fell

Postby dav2930 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Looked a glorious day in a lovely part of the Lakes. Just shows you don't need to slog all the way up the highest fells to get superb views! First rate images as usual JK - you certainly know how to capture the atmospheric misty mornings :clap:

Totally agree with your sentiment that there's no point in getting to the top of a hill if you can't spend some time enjoying it! :D
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby davekermito » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:03 pm

JKLL - the way you get perfect photos from any conditions consistently amazes me.

Whilst I've only been actively posting for a couple of months, I must have been though all your reports now. Hill and mountain photography at it's best.
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Some excellent shots as ever :D . Not sure how you do it - I had convinced myself looking down from the Moffat Fells that day that the Lakes weather wasn't up to much :roll: .

I tend to get a bit preoccupied with getting to the hills when I'm driving - often passing lots of great views with perfect lighting and cloud effects to find that where I'm going is grey and murky.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby trailmasher » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Another great report and photos Anthony :clap: well done for capturing the ambience of the day. The view from Low Fells southern cairn is truly wonderful :) Years ago I used to sort of scorn these lesser fells :( but since I have done the Birkett round I have realised that small often means large views 8) You mentioned Dodd, well unless you wanted to do what Chris and I had to its maybe best left alone until the paths and trails are open once again :?
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnbythell » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Wow! Stunning photos..
johnbythell
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   

Postby snowgoose » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:03 am

Stunning, as always. :clap: :clap: :clap:
snowgoose
Mountaineer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:41 pm

dav2930 wrote:Looked a glorious day in a lovely part of the Lakes. Just shows you don't need to slog all the way up the highest fells to get superb views! First rate images as usual JK - you certainly know how to capture the atmospheric misty mornings :clap:

Totally agree with your sentiment that there's no point in getting to the top of a hill if you can't spend some time enjoying it! :D

Thanks Dav, I wish I could find a few more misty mornings, don't tend to happen on the coast so much, always windy!

davekermito wrote:JKLL - the way you get perfect photos from any conditions consistently amazes me.

Whilst I've only been actively posting for a couple of months, I must have been though all your reports now. Hill and mountain photography at it's best.

Thank you so much Dave, your comments are very kind.

malky_c wrote:Some excellent shots as ever :D . Not sure how you do it - I had convinced myself looking down from the Moffat Fells that day that the Lakes weather wasn't up to much :roll: .

I tend to get a bit preoccupied with getting to the hills when I'm driving - often passing lots of great views with perfect lighting and cloud effects to find that where I'm going is grey and murky.

Cheers Malky, just lucky I guess :D
I to have suffered from "wrong hill syndrome" on occasion.

trailmasher wrote:Another great report and photos Anthony :clap: well done for capturing the ambience of the day. The view from Low Fells southern cairn is truly wonderful :) Years ago I used to sort of scorn these lesser fells :( but since I have done the Birkett round I have realised that small often means large views 8) You mentioned Dodd, well unless you wanted to do what Chris and I had to its maybe best left alone until the paths and trails are open once again :?

Thanks TM, Low Fell's view is one of the very best for me. Think I'll leave Dodd for a while and perhaps combine it with Sale/Ling Fells.

johnbythell wrote:Wow! Stunning photos..

Thank you

snowgoose wrote:Stunning, as always. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Many Thanks
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland