walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Four Passes in the Pyrenees

Four Passes in the Pyrenees

Postby yokehead » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Date walked: 29/08/2012

Time taken: 8

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1115m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On our family summer holidays in France I try to get at least one day in the mountains. Last year it was a wonderful but long trip to Mont Pelat, this year we were staying a bit north of Bagneres de Luchon so it was an easier journey. I saw this route in the Cicerone book Walks and Climbs in the Pyrenees, it seemed a fine circuit even though there were no peaks climbed.

The route starts at the Hospice de France and ascends clockwise up to and along the border with Spain, culminating in the dramatic pass of Port de Venasque before heading back down to the start.
four passes route pyrenees.jpg
Route shown in yellow

The start is already high at 1385m and it is steeply uphill straight away, ascending 500m on a zigzag path over 1km as the crow flies, to a plateau. Marvellous view from here of the wonderfully-named Pic de la Pique.
DSC00534.jpg
Start at the Hospice de France

DSC00541.jpg
Pic de la Pique

The path ascends gently, 200m over the next 2 km, to the first pass Pas de la Montjoie. Along the way I was privileged to meet one of Roger Federer's roadies.
DSC00547.jpg
RF gets everywhere

DSC00549.jpg
looking back to the start

Beyond the pass, the path follows the France/Spain border, marked by concrete posts, again climbing gently.
DSC00559.jpg
the border

The next pass is the Pas de l'Escalette at 2398m, here the path enters Spain, turns to the west and the ground becomes rocky. Views open out to the south, to the glaciers of the Maladeta massif.
DSC00568.jpg
After the Pas de l'Escalette

DSC00573.jpg
the high peaks and glaciers

The path descends for a while, then rises again to the pass Puerto de la Picada at 2477m. Views open out further, to the west, and the 4th pass comes into view.
DSC00589.jpg
view to the west

DSC00592.jpg
Port de Venasque is the v on the right, the peak is Pic de Sauvegarde

The path descends a little over the next 1km where you arrive below the climb to the pass. The path zigzags up, views to the south are superb - except for the awful mess on the plateau where folk have used rocks to spell out names of all sorts. Such a shame.
Having seen the attractive looking Pic de Sauvegarde I had intended to climb it, but changed my mind as the day was wearing on and the weather was looking to deteriorate from the south. A wise move as it turned out.
DSC00613.jpg
looking up to the last pass

DSC00608.jpg
the mess spoiling the view beyond

The pass is a narrow and dramatic gap between the rocks, at 2444m. The view each way is quite contrasting.
DSC00616.jpg
into Spain

DSC00619.jpg
marker for the pass

DSC00621.jpg
into France

Steeply down at first then the path traverses above a lake before dropping down to the Refuge de Venasque. Here I had an absolutely awful coffee, with bits of god knows what floating in it.
DSC00631.jpg
lake below the pass

DSC00634.jpg
refuge

DSC00635.jpg

From just after the refuge the whole of the rest of the route is in view, it goes steeply down descending 900m in about 3km. A zoomed view of the required zigzgs shows it off well.
DSC00638.jpg
the route down

A bit of rain came on as I zoomed down, but I was able to stay ahead of most of it as it came down the valley behind me. It wouldn't have been much fun if I'd done that peak with the rain to follow!
DSC00666.jpg
just beat the rain

DSC00670.jpg
all done, brollies out
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland