walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pic du Gar, France

Pic du Gar, France

Postby yokehead » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:35 am

Date walked: 31/08/2012

Time taken: 7

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1150m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Driving down to Bagneres de Luchon I could not fail to notice this peak from the road, a dramatic high line of pure rock cliffs with a large cross on top. I had no route details but the way was clearly marked on the map.
P1070691.jpg
the obvious south north route in red

Parking next to the church in the hamlet of Bezins-Garraux, the start of the route was signposted. Like 2 days ago the weather was dry but visibility hazy and not great for photos.
DSC00784.jpg
target peak centre

DSC00679.jpg
zoomed into the cross

Starting as a track, the way become a superb path through and alongside the edge of woodland, zigzagging in a great way to ease the effort.
DSC00693.jpg
fine path

Just before the col, after which the path climbs to get to the peak from the back, there were scrambling opportunities on the right which may have led more directly to the summit 300m higher. I was very tempted but not being sure of the distant terrain I chose the more mundane option.
DSC00700.jpg
scrambling possibility not taken

The Col de Teyech at 1460m is a proper little ridge and a nice spot, beyond which the path descends a little before rising again.
DSC00702.jpg
Col de Teyech

Soon out of the woodland the path heads north below the rocky skyline, before doubling back towards the peaks.
DSC00708.jpg
bit of blue sky

DSC00711.jpg
just below the final climb to the summit

A final push to the first of the peaks, the slightly lower one with the cross.
DSC00715.jpg
me at the summit Pic du Gar

DSC00719.jpg
looking across to the true summit, Peak Saillant

A short descent and climb to the highest peak where there is a cairn. I went on along the ridge for a little way before stopping for lunch then turning back to descend the way I came.
DSC00734.jpg
looking west across Pic Saillant then Pic du Gar

More chance to see the nature of the rock.
DSC00747.jpg
superb rock architecture

I spotted birds perched on a ridge and managed to get closer to them. They appear to be Griffon Vultures but I am no expert!
DSC00752.jpg
griffon vultures, I think

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

An easy stroll down to complete an interesting day.
DSC00767.jpg
looking back, on the descent
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland