walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lynton and Lynmouth walk

Lynton and Lynmouth walk

Postby KatTai » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Date walked: 19/03/2018

Time taken: 5.2

Distance: 18.6 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

29386360_1609221779191313_7580191229569138688_n.jpg

On holiday down at the edge of Exmoor and ended up with the car getting snowed in! The perils of staying up a narrow country lane :lol: No matter though, there was nothing stopping my feet from getting me out of the house so Moss and myself set off on an adventure on foot/paw heading down the lane towards Watersmeet where we followed a pleasant route alongside the river leading us down towards Lynmouth.

2.jpg

c.jpg

The route was signposted all the way to Lynmouth, which was a bit quiet as most of the shops were shut because of the weather so we didn't hang around much following the road along to the path that would take us up to Lynton.

7.jpg
Good luck getting leftovers here today!

Along the path a signpost gave a choice, continue on into Lynton or detour along the coastal path to the Valley of Rocks...choices choices! Coastal path it was! It was only a short distance to the Valley of Rocks. I'd been there last time I was in the area and it was a pretty busy place. Not today though! The car park was empty and there were only a few other people wandering around - and two of those were fellow dog walkers.

9.jpg

There are goats around here but I didn't spot any as we did a loop around rejoining the coastal path to head back towards Lynton.

29425647_1609221452524679_4388972920244797440_n.jpg

Retracing our steps, at the signpost we turned up towards Lynton which was a bit busier though several shops were still closed. After a short wander around, we headed out on the road towards Balbrook. At an inn with a bridge we left the road and headed onto another track. The initial plan had been to follow a route that would come back to the cottage from the other side but part way along we found the way was blocked by deep snow drifts that not even Moss wanted to tackle so we retraced out steps back to a fork.

h4.jpg

Here was another choice - follow the road to Balbroook and take the main road back to the cottage or follow the signposted route back towards Watersmeet. There were a lot of footsteps in the snow, most of them going one way so I figured that indicated that the route was passable to somewhere and it was a lot more interesting than walking on the road. We decided to chance it.

h6.jpg

The path climbed higher and higher and the views were pretty good from up there looking across towards Lynton and down towards Lynmouth Bay and across to the hills on the other side.

h7.jpg

h14.jpg

There were a couple of turnings that offered a route back to the main road, and it was tempting to take them as snow drifts created patches of deeper snow. But there were footsteps to follow, even if I did end up wishing those blessed with longer legs than myself would take slightly shorter footsteps so it would be easier for me to follow in them! We stuck to our route, Moss was enjoying herself in the snow anyway!

h12.jpg

At another turning we stuck to the main path heading towards the bridge rather than heading back down to Watersmeet. This section was on a bridleway making the going much easier and soon we were on the road and turning onto the lane to head back up to the cottage.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Lynton and Lynmouth walk

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Its a beautiful part of the world, used to go there often. Looks like Moss was nearly worn out in that last photo!

I'm guess that the NT cafe at Watersmeet wasn't serving cream teas at this time of year!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby KatTai » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Its a beautiful part of the world, used to go there often. Looks like Moss was nearly worn out in that last photo!

I'm guess that the NT cafe at Watersmeet wasn't serving cream teas at this time of year!

No, no cream teas today!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Great report. It’s a small world.

I’ve also been working in Exeter this week and found myself getting a snow day on Monday.

Couldn’t get on Dartmoor because of the roads but did get to Minehead and Exmoor for a walk on Selworthy Beacon and the coastal cliffs in a similar area to yours.

Really a decent place to be after the storm so to speak.

Thanks for sharing :clap:
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland