walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Plynlimon soaking

Plynlimon soaking

Postby yokehead » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen Pumlumon Arwystli, Pen Pumlumon Llygad-bychan, Plynlimon (Pumlumon Fawr), Y Garn (Plynlimon)

Date walked: 21/08/2016

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 15.3 km

Ascent: 542m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another trip for me and Sarah to a completely different part of Wales. Few photos on this outing given the mist for the first half and torrential rain for most of the rest of it! With the high start the overall ascent is quite modest, but the distance covered ends up being fairly long because of the out and back leg to Pen Pumlumon Arwystli.

plynlimon.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked at the pay car park outside some enterprising person's house at Eisteddfa Gurig, being the quickest option to get straight on the hill. It was already misty to low level as we made our way west up the mine track then north alongside the forest edge to the point east of Y Garn. Acent of only 200m in a distance of 2.5km was easy going but the surroundings were exceedingly drab in the mist.

The out and back to Y Garn is across undulating terrain that seemed longer than it really was. Having retraced our steps to the forest corner we turned north, following the fence all the way to Pumlumon Fawr. Skies had cleared a bit and it was looking stormy, chance to get the first photo!

DSC06805.jpg
over the fence to the summit

DSC06806.jpg
west to Nant-y-moch in the poor conditions

After visiting all the high points we hid from the wind for lunch in the shelter cairn, watching the clouds brew and rain sweep past, either side of us at this stage.

DSC06807.jpg
Pumlumon Fawr

DSC06808.jpg
better light but getting stormy

DSC06809.jpg
best visibility all day, we thought we might get this for the rest of the trip but, no!

DSC06810.jpg
view from the shelter

Eventually we set out for the 3km haul to Pen Pumlumon Arwystli via Pen Pumlumon Llygad-bychan and the 1865 boundary marker stone, across grassy ground which was flat and rather uninspiring apart from the final ascent to the summit. Just before we reached there the rain came tumbling down, hard, and remained that way for the rest of the day. So it was hoods up and retreat fully into our shells, keeping our heads down and battling through it.

DSC06812.jpg
boundary marker

We retraced our steps nearly all the way back to the 691m point just short of Pumlumon Fawr. Here I had planned to cut the corner and using the compass we did that, heading SSE for 0.5km to join the path leading toward the disused mine.

There is an old mine track all the way back from here so it was fast progress and we were glad to return to the car, quite soaked despite the gear.

DSC06813.jpg
the old mine

DSC06814.jpg
wet

I think this is one of those walks that needs good weather, or snow, to make it enjoyable given the rather mundane surroundings. What a contrast to Nantlle just a few days before!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland