walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Domes de Miage

The Domes de Miage

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Date walked: 07/08/2004

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The 3670m Dômes de Miage are a series of easy snow peaks at the southern end of the Mont Blanc Massif and often used by guides as as preparatory outing for clients before tackling Mont Blanc itself.
The circular route which also includes the 3425 m Aiguille de Bérangère starts from the 2580m Conscrit hut above Les Contamines - Monjoi and can be done in either direction
DDM00.jpg
Map of the route
Starting from the village the five hour walk to the hut zig zags up through woods with views back West to
the limestone peaks of Chaine de Fîz. on the R is the 2733m Pointe d'Anterne which dominates the western skyline from the Brévent or the peaks of the Aiguille Rouges
DDM01.jpg

Around the tree line, the track heads East to the outflow of the mainly moraine covered Tré-la-Tête glacier
DDM02.jpg
The path turns L into the valley above the glacier : all this would have been ice probably only a 100 years ago
DDM03.jpg
Retreat of the glacier has led to this gorge at the outflow
DDM04.jpg
A Closer view
I can't remember if we had to descend ladders to get on to the glacier, but that is now the case, and new ladders have to be added each year as the surface sinks. **** The mainly moraine covered glacier is then followed round a corner to a point where a rather unattractive path leads Left up moraine slopes. A cable makes the ascent a bit easier. Eventually the path gets on to easier ground and continues to the hut
DDM05.jpg
Looking up the glacier from the point where you drop down on to it
DDM06.jpg
Further up - the point where the path leads up Left
DDM07.jpg
The path up the moraine is directly below the cliffs
DDM08.jpg
Approaching the new Conscrit hut. Built in 1997, It was I think one of the first of the new type of glass wood and thermal blocks designs
DDM08A.jpg
The website view of the hut shows it better
In contrast to the rather tiresome approach route , the hut was very warm and comfortable
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**** In common with a number of hut aproach routes up rapidly collapsing glaciers a new route to the hut was opened in 2012 - crossing this spectacular suspension bridge
DDM08b.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next day the weather was poor - thick cloud, so we just walked up the Aiguille de Bérangère - a mixture of grass, snow patches, scree and easy rock with no particular path. The following morning , however, dawned clear and along with most parties we descended to the glacier - more of a slightly downward traverse I seem to remember - and ascended it to do the circuit in a counterclockwise direction. Steve seemed to take a much wider line - i.e further R than most, but the terrain was clearly better (less crevasses) because we emerged ahead of everyone else. As the sun rose we were heading up the snow slopes to the col du Dômes.
DDM09.jpg
Early morning - looking back from just below the 3564m Col du Dômes - start of the traverse
DDM10.jpg
looking up to the col
These are the pics of the easy but thoroughly enjoyable traverse :D
DDM11.jpg
above the col - on the ridge leading to the first dome - looking North to the 4052m Aiguille de Bionnassay
DDM12.jpg
A wider view includes the Dôme de Gouter and the ridge leading to Mont Blanc: the ridge on the R is the Brouillard
DDM13.jpg
Looking up to the second dome (3666m). On the Left is the 3814m Aiguille des Glaciers
DDM14.jpg
Looking across to the 3930m Aiguille de la Tré-la-Tête (three heads)
DDM15.jpg
The Mont Blanc massif from the highest dome
DDM16.jpg
On the summit of the highest dome (3670m) - maybe I should have adjusted my balaclava :lol: :lol:
DDM17.jpg
Starting the steep descent to the 3348m Col de la Bérangère, with the 3425m Aiguille de la Bérangère beyond
DMM18.jpg
Beyond the col - approaching the Aiguille
DMM19.jpg
Looking back from the Aiguille
DMM20.jpg
The Tré-la-Tête glacier rises to the impassable Col Infranchisable. On the other side the Glacier de Miages descends to the Italian Val Ferret. At the foot of the Brouillard is the 4030m Col Emil Rey and just to its R Mont Brouillard which is only 39m above it. The little rock lump on the ridge above and L of the Col is the 4460m Pointe Louis Amédée (Picco Luigi Amedeo and named after the Duc d'Abruzzi - a keen alpinist). Fully 35m high, this is surely one of the most ridiculous - and difficult to reach - of the "official" 4000nders :lol: :lol:
DMM21.jpg
A wider view across the upper Tré-la-Tête glacier.
DMM22.jpg
Looking down the easy slopes back to the hut
We had hoped to continue next day to the Durier hut and then traverse the spectacular knife edge ridge of the Aiguille de Bionnassay but the weather turned bad again and it was not to be :(
Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: The Domes de Miage

Postby davekermito » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:17 pm

You constantly amaze with these perfect Alpine pictures! One day I'll be out there too - cheers for the inspiration!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: The Domes de Miage

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:22 pm

davekermito wrote:You constantly amaze with these perfect Alpine pictures! One day I'll be out there too - cheers for the inspiration!

Thanks Dave:
The downside of climbing in the Alps is having to get up at some ungodly hour of the morning - 4.00 am or earlier and try to stuff down some bread and jam and decafeinated coffee before heading out. The upside is the amazing sunrises and the fact that the clear early morning air allows one to take great pics. And if the weather's crap - well you just forget it - and go and have a beer somewhere :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland