walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dyfi Hills (the cheats method!)

Dyfi Hills (the cheats method!)

Postby davekermito » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cribin Fawr, Maesglase, Waun-oer

Date walked: 25/03/2018

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 852m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today was yet another one of those days where I picked up some of those stragglers on the mission to complete all of the Hewitts that Wales had to offer.

Reading up on the reports, I decided that a massive cheat would be required to avoid the 3 mile walk back along a very busy and narrow A470 so I make no apologies for cheating! :lol:

The walk involves me parking just outside of Dinas Mawddwy and getting a local taxi up to the top of the pass saving the potential for being run over with the advantage of shaving 500 feet off the total ascent for the day. In the words of the DoE instructor met later in the day - initiative is not cheating!

So on to the walk itself, below is the GPX route that was 'broadly' followed. Mainly the routes gleaned off WH with a few tweaks.

Dyfi_Hills.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The ascent of Cribin Fawr is fairly obvious from the car park, with the track tending to the right of the fence, zig-zagging up to the main flattish traverse to the top. Views of the main Aran ridge, Arenigs, Rhinogs and Cadair Idris improve with every step and then the main Northern Snowdonia peaks were visible.

The flattish top of Cribin Fawr was a surprisingly dry place to traverse and a joy in the sunshine. Ignoring the later stile for the Maesglase ridge route, it was on to Waun Oer. Despite a cursory look at the contours of the map denoting it was a quick down, up and down again, this pass was far steeper than expected and the pull up to the summit of Waun Oer was a short but energetic few minutes!

Back down to the pass and 90% back up Cribin Fawr there is a stile that takes you to a path which for a half mile is a magical mystery tour of peat hags. Thankfully semi frozen today, the route goes up and over some semi-exposed cliff edges on the undulating ridge to Maesglase. This route was the best part of the day which sadly came to an anti-climax at the broad dull top of Maesglese.

From the top there's a path shown on the map that descends carefully from the top. Ignoring this completely I decided to descend on vertical moss for best part of 1000 foot. One of them comedy descents that you look back at the bottom and see an expertly graded path going back and forth - oh well :lol:

From the decent of this cliff/path it was all sensible farm paths back to Dinas with some nice views back to the more interesting parts of Maesglae (ie not the top!)

Overall, a far superior day than expected, no doubt helped by the super conditions. Well recommend a (very expensive) taxi to travel up the road.
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

Re: Dyfi Hills (the cheats method!)

Postby poppiesrara » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Definitely not 'cheating' to take a sensible transport option like that (perhaps unless the taxi drops you off on the top of the first hill!) - I wish I'd done the same (still have zero kind thoughts about that hairy plod up the road...). It's a nice area and better walking than I expected too - the more gradual descent south and then east from Maesglase is possibly wiorthwhile for the views, even if it lacks 'vertical moss' :-)
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby davekermito » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Cheers PR - I think it was one of your reports that put me off the walk up the A470 in the first place! BTW 'Vertical' spongy moss is a very underrated substrate! :lol:

Now I'm nearing my Welsh hewitt completion, I must thank you as one of a few who have documented the 'less popular' hills on Walkhighlands and have helped me out no end (along with the Nuttall book). Wasn't sure if you posted here too much now, but I've followed your routes over most of the Welsh hills. Big salute :clap: :clap: :clap:
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:03 pm

I too found these hills better than I'd expected after the Arans, though I didn't take the cleverest route up to Maesglase - yours is much the better route up.

You sure had a great day for it - the panos especially look great on a big screen.

As regards the A470, you could of course have remained on the rough by taking in Pen y Bryfforchog and Glasgwm... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby davekermito » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Cheers AK as ever

Did think of completing my Arans scrapbook on Pen y Bryfforchog but the Guinness World Record for blister size started to open up on both of my feet at once (new boots and being hopelessly flat footed) so was glad to get back to the car!

Not many left in Wales now! PyB will need to be got on a round up mission with the other outliers left over (looking at you Moel y Cerrig Duon and Mynnyd Craig Goch)!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:36 pm

You can obviously return along the hills on the other side of the road but that makes for quite a long day - I wouldn't call avoiding a walk along that road cheating :) .

Looks like you had a good day out - enjoyed these hills more than might be expected from looking at the map.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby poppiesrara » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks very much, Dave! Those Welsh Hewitts seem a long time ago now but happy memories - I'm gradually getting back round most of them... and in time might get one of those documents up for the last few English ones too.

Looks like you have a very mixed bag left in Wales - I guess the Snowdon Horseshoe might just be the finishing plan though?
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby davekermito » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 pm

Poppiesrara

Well spotted! Despite a trip up the pyg track when I was 12, it was always the intention to complete all of Wales' hewitts on the horseshoe even though Snowdon was officially ticked off!

North Wales involves lot of driving around picking off the odd one here and there. Mid Wales (specifically Elan Valley) requires 4 weeks of no rain and baking sunshine! South Wales will hopefully be completed on a long weekend soon. It's weird that I'm getting so excited about a milestone that, let's face it, none of my friends and family* can understand!

*except brother in law who's on WH as Mendonca and is well on the way to Munro and Hewitt completion!

Malky_c

I think, like Poppiesrara, you are another tremendous Walkhighlands stalwart that deserves a thankyou for routing me through many bogs and heather in the name of ticking off obscure hills. Another salute (or at least clapping emoji) coming your way :clap: :clap: :clap:

When anyone posts on here, especially on the less travelled peaks, it's amazing on what a great service you are doing to those who wish to go off the beaten track. I've posted a few routes, particularly of the same less travelled ones, but heartily recommend all put a report up especially if you've found that secret valley or the alternative climbing route.
davekermito
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland