walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coledale Round - March 2018

Coledale Round - March 2018

Postby hbeevers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:45 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Outerside, Sail

Hewitts included on this walk: Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Sail

Date walked: 28/03/2018

Time taken: 6

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1200m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Coledale-round.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I was given a copy of Fellwalking with Wainwright as a gift from some family recently and found this while looking for a NW fells circular walk of around 9 miles. Wainwright isn't too keen on the Coledale valley itself but did praise the views and the high ground portions of the walk so, with a positive forecast we went for it.

All images are large resolution so click them to take a closer look!

View from the Grisedale Pike ascent path

View up the latter part of the ascent path

Having parked just outside Braithwaite we made our way up the steep and long (over 2 miles) path to Grisedale Pike. Views are fantastic throughout this round so doing it on a clear day will make all the difference.

There is some no-grade scrambling available if you search for it on the path which is a good way to distract from the relentless but manageable pull up to the summit. Once there the views open up again and all the effort is rewarded!

Hobcarton Crag and Hopegill Head from Grisedale Pike

Crag Hill from mine tracks between Grisedale Pike and Hobcarton Crag

Hopegill Head looking over Sand Hill (756m) toward Crag Hill - Hobcarton Crag and Grisedale Pike on the left.

From Hopegill Head we walked over Coledale Hause and up Liza Beck. I was on the look out for a nice looking direct route up the crag and the map shows a cairn on the summit plateau however, I didn't fancy the scree run and quite vegetated route that seemed most obvious. Perhaps one to come back to on my own in drier months, this whole route is an excellent round to run over.

Crag Hill from Coledale Hause

Crag Hill summit view

The whole round can be seen from Crag Hill summit and the views E through SW of the greater Lakes ranges are superb. Coming of the summit to Sail involves some no-grade scrambling with plenty of easier paths to avoid it. The ridge here is great fun for someone who enjoys exposure but we did meet a woman who had to turn around and head down to Force Crag mine path as she couldn't get past this bit. Once off Sail the decision is whether to take Outerside - Stile End or Scar Crags - Causey Pike back, we went for the slightly shorter Outerside - Stile End route as I've been suffering some foot pain recently and didn't want to push things too much. This is the dull bit and slightly boggy underfoot.

View back to Sail and Hopegill Head from Outerside

The rest of the descent back to the village is lovely and easy. Going again I'd go over Scar Crags and Causey Pike to cross Stonecroft Gill and join the same path to Braithwaite just SSE under Stile End avoiding Outerside as it's more interesting. A great round though, I hadn't heard of it before but think it deserves some attention!
hbeevers
Mountaineer

Re: Coledale Round - March 2018

Postby dav2930 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Nice report and great photos. Yes it is a fine round - one of Lakeland's best IMO; it has received some attention here on WH!

I agree that the finish by Scar Crags and Causey Pike is even better than by Outerside. And if you like a bit of easy scrambling, you can cut a little corner off by going straight up the north ridge of Crag Hill (Eel Crag) by a shallow gully - much easier than it looks. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby hbeevers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:52 pm

dav2930 wrote:if you like a bit of easy scrambling, you can cut a little corner off by going straight up the north ridge of Crag Hill (Eel Crag) by a shallow gully - much easier than it looks. :)

I did see the gully but didn't want to get myself into territory I wasn't sure about, the gully is in my image above. Definitely the route I'll take next round, same for Causey Pike finish.
hbeevers
Mountaineer

Postby davekermito » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Cracking day out. And the second post I've seen on the bounce for this route today, so others must agree!

Although I came back via the knobbly Causey Pike, either way it makes a nice day out. Not sure if you are a Hewitt bagger but the walk out to Wandope before returning up Eel Crag (Crag Hill) from Coledale Hause almost feels like cheating!
davekermito
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:210
Wainwrights:79   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland