walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Howgill Hewitts

The Howgill Hewitts

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Calders, Fell Head, Randygill Top, The Calf, Yarlside

Date walked: 05/04/2018

Time taken: 4.2

Distance: 19.4 km

Ascent: 1374m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I love the Howgills. Quiet compared to the Lakes, some steep ascents mixed with great open fell walking, relatively close to home and with lot's of options.

My last couple of visits here have been pea soup days so I thought I was due a visit on a nice day and a day off on the Thursday over Easter gave me that opportunity.

I don't think I'd done the 5 principal (7 if you follow the Nuttall rules) summits alltogether in the same walk before so opted for that.

A glorious day with overnight snow giving way to warm temperatures in the light winds. Some really tricky descents in the conditions though.

1 Steep start.JPG
From the Cross Keys the Ben End direct way up Yarlside is a steep start to the day - mind you Yarlside is steep from any direction.

2 Cautley Crag.JPG
Cautley Crag

3 Climb to Yarlside's Southern Top ahead.JPG
Yarlside's Southern Top ahead

4 RG Top and NP from Yarlisde.JPG
Randygill Top and the North Pennines behind from Yarlside - stunningly clear

5 South to the Dales.JPG
The Dales Peaks from Yarlside

6 The steep descent off Yarlside.JPG
Looking back to the steep descent off Yarlide. I've been down this way (and up) numerous times and it's a real tough one - particularly in slippy conditions today. A real "take your time" job

7 Wild Boar Fell and Swarth Fell from Yarlside.JPG
Wild Boar Fell and Swarth Fell from Kensgriff

8 RG Top to main group.JPG
Another steep pull and I'm on Randygill Top looking back to the main Howgill group

9 Descending to Bowderdale.JPG
Descending to Bowderdale - an ATV track helping with this descent

10 Route down RG Top.JPG
Looking back at Randygill Top from Bowderdale

11 Bowderdale.JPG
I followed the main bridleway through Bowderdale pretty much to the top of The Calf

12 Ridge to Fell Head.JPG
The ridge to Fell Head which I'd do as an out and back. Not obvious here but there's a signficant drop between Bush Howe and Breaks Head to tackle.

13 Lakes from Fell Head.JPG
Lakeland Skyline from Fell Head

14 Back to The Calf.JPG
On the summit of Bush Howe with The Calf ahead

15 The Calf to Calders.JPG
The Calf Trig Point looking at the motorway path to Calders

16 Arrant How and Winder from Bram Rigg top.JPG
Arant How and Winder from Bram Rigg Top

17 Calders.JPG
Calders - frosty conditions making way for glorious sunshine now

18 Edge of Cautley Crag.JPG
The route back was over Great Dummacks and along the edge of Cautley Crag

19 Valley back.JPG
Valley back to the Cross Keys

20 Cautley Spout.JPG
A steep, stepped descent alongside Cautley Spout needs much care in any conditions really

21 Cautley Spout.JPG
Cautley Spout looking impressive after yesterdays rain
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: The Howgill Hewitts

Postby malky_c » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Looks nice, and very timely as well - I was planning to do something a bit like this tomorrow :) .

Don't think the weather will be as good but at least the waterfall should look impressive.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:08 pm

malky_c wrote:Looks nice, and very timely as well - I was planning to do something a bit like this tomorrow :) .

Don't think the weather will be as good but at least the waterfall should look impressive.

It's a great area Malky - you'll love it and the waterfall always looks great.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:11 pm

I walked these by a slightly different route at the end of November last year, and was very pleasantly surprised at their unique character, so it was good to be reminded of a most enjoyable day, and glad you had a great day for the round. Some really nice pics here.

As usual, a pretty speedy traverse!! :roll:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I walked these by a slightly different route at the end of November last year, and was very pleasantly surprised at their unique character, so it was good to be reminded of a most enjoyable day, and glad you had a great day for the round. Some really nice pics here.

As usual, a pretty speedy traverse!! :roll:

Thanks AK

Yep saw your report and would concede that it's probably a better route as it takes in the excellent Arant Haw approach and avoids the out and back to Fell Head from my route. They are a really nice range of hills.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Postby trailmasher » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:37 am

Nice one Broggy 1, great walk and photos :clap: I just love the Howgills and as you point out they are so quiet and with no obstacles apart from the steep climbs one can really get on with it 8)
I did a similar route to you a couple of years ago and the there and back from Fell Head was a bit of a bummer but at least the views are amazing :)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:55 am

Superb day for it, I've never done all five together and it's something I'm thinking about having a crack at this year some time. Great report and pics.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland