walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

DECIDING ON YOUR LAST WAINWRIGHT

DECIDING ON YOUR LAST WAINWRIGHT

by susanmyatt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 am

Date walked: 26/10/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: DECIDING ON YOUR LAST WAINWRIGHT

Postby houdi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:20 pm

Cheers for that, fedup. I'll bear it in mind.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby The Hanging Monkey » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Well, I only have five left now.

I'm still going with Mellbreak to finish, I reckon.
The Hanging Monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:6   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Well done, look forward to reading that last report 8)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Dogshome » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm

If you like views of Crummock and Buttermere there is no better vantage point than Low Fell at NY137226. It's a Wainright and best walked around mid afternoon on a sunny day or even later in June. Get to the top as the sun is low in the sky and the views down Crummock and Buttermere are fantastic. Finish the walk by calling in to the Kirkstile Inn http://www.kirkstile.com and you have the perfect short easy walk.

As to your question I left Caw till the last most boring and most inaccessible but if I were to choose from the outset I would save the drama and views from Bowfell as my finishing point. Enjoy each walk though and don't rush the end of a great challenge.
Dogshome
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:112

Postby Hantswalker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Very few people will decide their last of any long mountain list before they start, but my advice is decide early. I did this for the Wainwrights and on Boxing Day 2004 I finished on Scafell Pike in perfect winter conditions.

My last Munro - yes I have decided - it has to be a good one (iconic even), attainable by non-walking friends and within striking distance of a great place to stay and have a celebratory meal.

More difficult - my last Welsh Hewitt and my last Hewitt. I haven't decided either so may end up with some bog infested mound in the Cheviots.
Hantswalker
Hill Bagger

Munros:267   Corbetts:12
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:32 pm

My last Wainwright ended up being Rossett Pike. This was part chance/part choice really as i just happened to have climbed all the surrounding peaks during other walks so decided to complete my other required fells & leave it until last,it can be done as very pleasant walk on it's own. Finally made it to the top on November 19th 2010 & i wasn't disappointed,celebrating back at the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel with a lovely pint of Yates Bitter! :D I'm sure whichever one you choose as your last.you 'll enjoy it. Good luck & happy walking.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby mamoset » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:43 pm

With 6 fells left to complete the Wainwrights, I find those remaining completely uninspiring. I've never been particularly concerned whether I completed them or not. Like others have stated, it is only when you look and realise how few you have left to do, do these sort of conundrums crop up. If pushed, I would say Harter Fell over Hardknott Pass will be my final Wainwright in a walk that would also take in Hard Knott and Green Crag.

Chris.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby canisp » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:47 pm

I thought i might finish on Castle Crag but blew that a few weeks ago, so now its either Helm Crag or Troutbeck Tongue. I’ve been up to the base of the Howitzer on Helm Crag but my conscience just won’t let me tick it off in the logger :?
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby The Hanging Monkey » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:50 pm

mamoset wrote:With 6 fells left to complete the Wainwrights, I find those remaining completely uninspiring. I've never been particularly concerned whether I completed them or not. Like others have stated, it is only when you look and realise how few you have left to do, do these sort of conundrums crop up. If pushed, I would say Harter Fell over Hardknott Pass will be my final Wainwright in a walk that would also take in Hard Knott and Green Crag.

Chris.

Harter Fell is lovely, that would be a great one to finish with.

And there's a pub at the bottom 8)
The Hanging Monkey
Munro compleatist

Postby The Hanging Monkey » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:53 pm

canisp wrote:I thought i might finish on Castle Crag but blew that a few weeks ago, so now its either Helm Crag or Troutbeck Tongue. I’ve been up to the base of the Howitzer on Helm Crag but my conscience just won’t let me tick it off in the logger :?

I've been to the base of that too, had a quick try at getting up but then had to press on because I didn't want to get a parking ticket.

I'll make sure I have plenty of time when I return! It's not getting ticked off till I've been to the top.

I have a friend who has completed all the wainwrights with his wife, they didn't get to the top of Helm Crag but reckon it's ok if you touch the rock :lol: it's up to the individual, I suppose, but I couldn't accept that personally.
The Hanging Monkey
Munro compleatist

Postby WESLEY ORVIS » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:32 pm

I am about 65% of the way through the Wainwright's, and Mellbreak is going to be my last Wainwright too, as i only have mainly the small ones left to do but Kirk Fell is the only one over 2000 feet left, then i can carry on with the munroes.
WESLEY ORVIS
Mountain Walker

Munros:46   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:126

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland