walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

DECIDING ON YOUR LAST WAINWRIGHT

DECIDING ON YOUR LAST WAINWRIGHT

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 am

Date walked: 26/10/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi, I suppose this is the same question for Munros, as Icemandan reaches 200 Wainwrights how did all you completists pick the summit to do last and for those nearing the total are you making provisions for it. As my husband chooses the tops and routes I suppose he will decide but perhaps not till we are much closer, plenty of juicy ones left yet :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: DECIDING ON YOUR LAST WAINWRIGHT

Postby The Hanging Monkey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm nearing the completion of the Wainwrights and have been giving this some thought recently.

There are some that I definitely don't want to do last - I still have Troutbeck Tongue to do, for instance, which would be a bit underwhelming. I do still have some pretty good fells left though - Catstycam, Fleetwith Pike and Mellbreak being some obvious ones.

I think I'm going to invite a load of friends to do the last one with me so I'm thinking Mellbreak as it isn't actually that big......and there's a pub at the bottom 8)
The Hanging Monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:6   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Postby malky_c » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:02 pm

I suppose the trouble with the Wainwrights is that they are all in a much smaller area than the Munros, so you probably end up doing all the interesting ones first. Since you're thinking about it in good time, should be easy enough to put a decent one to one side..

I doubt I'll ever finish the Wainwrights, but Skiddaw is a rather glaring omission for me - the only 3000ft summit I haven't done in the UK!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby magicdin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Forgive a daft question from an ignorant Scotsman - but to those of you have done a number of Munros,Corbetts,Wainwrights,Hewitts etc

How does the round of Wainwrights/Hewitts compare with Munros/Corbetts
In terms of effort,time,accessibility,difficulty that is ??
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:29 pm

They're wonderfully accessible, some even straight from the carpark (of course that can cause warm-up problems). Everything is squashed together nicely so doing 6 peaks in a day in some of the ranges is no big deal but rather extremely pleasant, e.g. The Coledale Round, Kentmere Horseshoe etc.

Difficulty-wise, depends on whether you mean effort or technicality. If you mean technicality, there is only Yewbarrow with any degree of difficulty of access for the more nervous (like me) - the rest all have at least one extremely easy route up. They just about all have good paths, many are stone-pitched paths due to the popularity causing erosion otherwise - some people don't like that but I prefer it to bogs, mud, scree etc. Effortwise, many are very steep but all are obviously much less effort than any of the Munros. I have a saying that "There's no such thing as an easy Munro", whereas there are quite a few easy and strollable Wainwrights.
mountain coward

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:30 pm

malky_c wrote:I suppose the trouble with the Wainwrights is that they are all in a much smaller area than the Munros, so you probably end up doing all the interesting ones first. Since you're thinking about it in good time, should be easy enough to put a decent one to one side..

I doubt I'll ever finish the Wainwrights, but Skiddaw is a rather glaring omission for me - the only 3000ft summit I haven't done in the UK!

I spend a good deal of my life on Skiddaw if you want any company when you do it! :D
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:31 pm

cheers - and the Hewitts ? - the only ones I have done are the 3000 footers
magicdin
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm not that familiar with the Hewitt list - I'm probably never going to try to bag them - I just tick them off on here if I notice I've done one. But they include a lot of the Snowdonian mountains. I'm sure you probably know all about those? But if not, I would say they're just as convenient and accessible, and generally as easy, as the Lake District Wainwrights but are generally rockier with a bit more scrambling. Again though, there is usually at least one easy way up with very little scrambling. I generally tend to say that hill-walkers should start out in the Lakes, then progress to Snowdonia, then Scotland...
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks - just trying to get a general feel - without looking at maps etc :)
magicdin
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:44 pm

I'd say Snowdonia is much more like the Scottish hills (well the Western ones, not the Cairngorms) - the Wainwrights are nothing like them...
mountain coward

Postby fedupofuserids » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:42 pm

mountain coward wrote:I'd say Snowdonia is much more like the Scottish hills (well the Western ones, not the Cairngorms) - the Wainwrights are nothing like them...

I'd say the Lakes are a version of the Highlands in miniature. The lakes have a little bit of everything but more compact. Some of the Wainwrights also remind me a lot of some of the Scottish Lowland Hills. I agree with MC 4-8 wainwrights can be ticked off with ease, 12 or more makes for a long day. The geographically spread of them is also far less than in Scotland, which probably makes them easier to get to, but bear in mind that Cumbria is England's second largest county and the main roads through the highlands are far better than those in the lakes!

Back to Susan's question, I'm on my second round, my first was complete when I was too young to remember half of them. My New Years resolution was to start walking again and to try to complete in a year - so at the start I just walked, usually where the weather was best with no regard to what would come last. Now I'm also getting towards the end, like the hanging monkey I don't want to finish on Troutbeck Tongue, Black Crag etc. My completion will most likely be Scafell, ( I prefer this to Scafell PIke), or Whiteside (One of my favourites). If I had thought about it I would probably most like to have finished on Great Gable. Which one has your husband picked out ?
fedupofuserids

Postby icemandan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:26 pm

I haven't been consciously collecting Wainwrights until I noticed how few I had left. As far as the last one goes, I've done most of the good ones and have a lot of lumps and bumps in the far west. Was wondering about Arnison Crag.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby fedupofuserids » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Icemandan :

Was wondering about Arnison Crag.

Nice wee fell with pleasant views towards Ullswater and upto Birks & St. Sunday Crag.

100_8565.JPG

100_8567.JPG
fedupofuserids

Postby The Hanging Monkey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Arnison Crag has one of the best views in the district IMO and wouldn't be a bad one to finish off with.

What's Mellbreak like? Is it a decent one to leave till last?
The Hanging Monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:6   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:49 am

Thanks for the posts so far, I thought Black Crag had great views for a little one but I can see your thinking. Still have the Scafells, Great End, Bow Fell and Wetherlam to do,so any of those would be good, still a long way to go though. I know my husbands favourite view is looking into the Buttermere valley, so Mellbreak would be nice for you guys and as you say not too high so you can enjoy it :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland