walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The 3 Tiny Terrors climb Rhyd Ddu path Snowdon

The 3 Tiny Terrors climb Rhyd Ddu path Snowdon

Postby johnovey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Date walked: 24/10/2010

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1085m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rhyd Ddu.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a successful walk in the Brecon Beacons earlier this year I had promised the 3 tiny terrors that we would climb Snowdon by the end of the year.
I wanted a route that would not be too difficult for them, one I had not done and also one that would avoid most of the crowds.
I decided on the Rhyd Ddu path for our route up and for the return we would take the South ridge to the base of Yr Aran then cut across the old slate works back to Rhyd Ddu station car park.
We had either Saturday or Sunday to choose from. The forecast for Saturday was to be showers / sunny spells and Sunday mainly sunny all day.
Saturday was chosen for low level touristy bits in the car and Sunday was to be the day of the walk.
Swallow Falls at Betws y Coed were in full flow
Swallow Falls 1.JPG

Swallow Falls 2.JPG

Swallow Falls 3.JPG

My wife was going to drop us off at Rhyd Ddu then drive round to Llanberis to catch the train up with her sister who was visiting from South Africa.
This gave us about two and a half hours to reach our rendevouz at the summit café.
The morning of our walk started out crisp and clear
We set off well wrapped up from the car park but within the first hour we had to strip off our outer layers. It was really quiet as we walked and met only 3 or 4 groups on our ascent.
Myndd Mawr I think.JPG

Llechog.JPG

After about one and a half hours we could see the summit café clearly and the train making its way up from Llanberis.
After the zig zags we reached the rim of Llechog. From here the cliffs below the summit looked amazing. The boys were all doing really well and enjoying every minute. We could see our route round and up to Bwlch Main which was looking pretty scary from down on Llechog!
Summit cliffs.JPG

Summit cliffs 2.JPG

Soon we were up on the ridge and the views now were fantastic.
Up to Bwlch Main.JPG

Down to the left were the group of Llyns towards the Ranger path and to the right the quarries in the valley with the Watkins path clearly climbing through and up to the summit.
The Llyns towards the Ranger path.JPG

The level of exposure was nothing like it looked from below and I was quite happy for the boys to walk safely along the ridge to the top. They were now all walking confidently and although I was watching closely there were no problems at all.
Ridge to summit.JPG

The train had reached the top 10 minutes before we had anticipated and we were 10 minutes later than anticipated so we only had 10 minutes before Shona had to head back down to Llanberis. Her sister Sue was going to join us for the walk back down the South Ridge.
A quick stop for lunch then it was on our way back down Bwlch Main to the South ridge to Yr Aran
Lunch at the summit.JPG

Across the horseshoe towards Moel Siabod.JPG

Y Lliwedd.JPG

Bwlch Main and South ridge.JPG

The section of Bwlch Main was as good going down as coming up. Sue was amazed at the views now unfolding in front of us.Last time I was on this ridge was in August with near zero visibility so today was a first for all of us
Bwlch Main 1.JPG

Bwlch Main 2.JPG

Reaching the point where the path peels off to the right for Llechog we climbed over the little sharp bit you can see in the photos above to continue down the South ridge with Clogwyn Du to our left.
Crow rook or raven.JPG

Sheep posing.JPG

This was a great section with a few scrambley bits that we had to go down on our bums.
Boys scrambling on part of South ridge.JPG

We eventually reached the base of Yr Aran and headed off through the old quarries back towards Rhyd Ddu.
Final drop to Yr Aran.JPG

Old slate works.JPG

DSC04309.JPG

We had taken a lot longer coming off the mountain than I thought and were now well overdue. There was no phone signal in this area so we had to pick up the pace and got back to a worried Shona one and a half hours late and 5 pairs of tired legs!!
All in all a great route that I would recommend to anybody wanting a taste at ridge walking with great views all round.
One of the best route up Snowdon I think.
Well done tiny terrors. Till the next one!! :D
johnovey
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:1   

Re: The 3 Tiny Terrors climb Rhyd Ddu path Snowdon

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:41 pm

That's my usual and favourite route... I can get a phone signal on my Vodafone mobile down your descent ridge - just it's either from the Isle of Man or Eire! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby johnovey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Yep MC, it's a cracker.
At the risk of sounding ignorant can anybody tell me the correct pronuciation of Yr. Is it "Err"? :?
...and also Y ....is it pronounced "i" ? :(
johnovey
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:17 am

Yr is pronounced 'err' yes. Y isn't an 'i' sound though, more like 'uh' - but most people get that wrong...
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Great report and wonderful to see young ones walking, went up Coniston Old Man with a couple of young lads this week and they were so keen and excited about the climb, these are Pauls future members :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby johnovey » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks MC, I will try to remember that. So Y Garn would be "Uh Garn".

Thanks for your comments Sue. The kids love the mountains at the moment so as long as they are enjoying it I will keep them walking. I wish I was introduced to walking the hills earlier in life.
They want to do Ben Nevis now . Will we need oxygen? they asked. The only one needing oxygen will be me trying to keep up with them !! :)
johnovey
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland