walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Western Wander

A Western Wander

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:49 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Crag Fell, Grike, Lank Rigg

Date walked: 11/04/2018

Time taken: 5

Distance: 14.9 km

Ascent: 915m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

March passed by with no visits to Lakeland. The the poor weather and circumstances preventing the journey being undertaken on the all too brief opportunities that presented themselves, had halted my second round efforts. I had been out walking in the North Yorks Moors several times so hopefully a level of fitness had been maintained.

My day off offered a glimmer that the tide was turning regards the weather, that glimmer however was in the far west of the lakes with the eastern side set to endure more of the same. As a result I set off bright and early to re-visit a couple of lonely Western fells that were done in heavy clag and rain the last time.

When I arrived at Bleach Green car park on Ennerdale it was closed :? :? Fortunately the scout centre car park was available and with no exclusivity signs I grabbed the last place and set off in bright but hazy sunshine along the breezy Ennerdale shoreline.

ImageBeautiful Blue Skies to the West by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLone Tree by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEnnerdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBright and Breezy by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking up to Revelin Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to the start by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Soon enough me and my constant companion, Hughie, topped out on Angler's Crag. This diminutive top has superb views up and down Ennerdale which were on this day compromised slightly by the haze in the air. The bank of clag could be seen spilling over the High Stile ridge while Pillar was clear. We didn't linger and set off up towards the pinnacles on Crag Fell's North face. The route zig zags it's way up the slope but perhaps because I'd been up here before I was somewhat casual and ended up following the path heading below the crags to far meaning some heather and boulder bashing to get back on route.

ImageView from Anglers Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHazy views to the head of Ennerdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLayers by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEnnerdale from above Anglers Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Once back on the correct route the walk up to the pinnacles was easy and I decided to stop in a sheltered spot and have some breakfast of fridge porridge and blueberries washed down with coffee. This is a splendid place full of interest and I would heartily recommend this route up these fells. Refreshed I set off along the faint ribbon of path traversing the steep fellside.

ImagePinnacles on Crag Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePinnacles and Anglers Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMore Rocks by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAhead to the Traverse Path by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The ground does fall away steeply to your right on the upper path but if this isn't to your taste there are lower options without the mild exposure. Soon enough we passed the end of Revelin Crag and set off up by the fence towards the col between Crag Fell and Grike. I had originally intended upon going up Crag Fell first but I thought I'd give it a few hours for the views to clear a little more so I headed west. The last time up here visibility was very poor so a little haze in the air was a massive improvement. Grike's summit is not unpleasant but it is a little dull so we didn't linger and headed off for the gate in the fence and the forestry track. The devastation of a felled plantation is not a pretty sight and this area has been this way for several years, unlike Ennerdale which is enjoying re-wilding this place looks like it has been abandoned to its fate which is a shame because some planting of native species would certainly enhance the valley.

ImageA Watery Sky by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking Down from the Traverse Path by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way up next to Ben Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGrike Ahead by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageStill Very Hazy towards Pillar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGrike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie checks out the Shelter for dropped Food by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The name Black Pots on a map can only mean one thing and the low point before you ascend Whoap is as one would expect given its name. This didn't last for long fortunately and and it was up onto featureless slopes beyond.

I love the name Whoap, it feels like it should have an exclamation mark following it, Whoap! :D however I have no idea what it means :? , perhaps it's what you shout to slow fleeing sheep down? or an exclamation made when sinking knee deep in a bog? Whatever it means the name is the only thing of note about this fell, still, compared to the last time when it was zero visibility and horizontal rain this time was paradise indeed :D . Lank Rigg looks a little Howgillian from here and like the Howgills the walk up is fairly steep on grass. Just before I made the summit I noticed the first other people I'd seen on the fell's today just starting up the slope. Once on the top I left a small donation to AWs fish and chip fund and walked over to the other top to have lunch.

ImageLooking back on Black Pots by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLank Rigg from Whoap by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking down to Whoap Beck by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLank Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Lank Rigg Summit Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSouthern Top of Lank Rigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLunch Stop View by Anthony Young, on Flickr

By now the wind which had been quite strong had dropped completely and it was a lovely peaceful lunch staring out over the wide open spaces. Still this couldn't last forever and I set off back past the summit and down to Whoap. I wasn't really paying attention crossing Whoap as my meandering GPS trail shows :oops: but soon enough Black Pots had been crossed and I was trudging up the last fell of the day.

ImageBlake Fell from the way back to Crag Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageForestry Devastation and a clear High Stile Ridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePillar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The views had cleared slightly which was nice I passed somebody messing with a radio mast on the summit and descended the ridge till I found a nice spot for another five minutes to finish my rations with boots off. This is a lovely easy way off the fells passing the impressive scenery of Ben Gill and finishing by walking through a nice woodland.

ImageCrag Fell View by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRevelin Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking Back to Crag Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Through the Woods by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNot a Bad Place to Live by Anthony Young, on Flickr

All said and done this was an excellent meandering walk over some quiet fells, great to back following two months away. :D

LankRigg.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Western Wander

Postby dav2930 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Good to see you back on the fells JK. Looked a nice wander on some quiet hills with spectacular views of Pillar etc. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby yokehead » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am

Is that a route track or did a snail get loose on your map?! A fine tramp and great photos, Whoap! indeed!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 am

Interesting to see what this bit of the LD looks like, never having been there!

The usual stunning photography :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Whoap is a lovely name - in a different way so is Ben Gill, which could just as well be a Scottish hill. Any more dual purpose names out there?

Nice to see those hills in sunshine!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby trailmasher » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Another good walk and a great set of photos :clap: Pleased that you got the weather this time around to enjoy the mountain scenery 8) BTW, that was some wander, looks more like Hughie's scampering about track chasing voles than your route :lol: :lol:

Great photos as per usual :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Ahh that's what the views are like from these three, we were clagged out them last October, didn't see a thing :roll:
Lovely photo's again, I especially liked the "A Watery Sky" shot, it plays with the mind :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue May 01, 2018 10:23 am

dav2930 wrote:Good to see you back on the fells JK. Looked a nice wander on some quiet hills with spectacular views of Pillar etc. :)

Cheers Dav, the views from Angler's Crag and Crag Fell are indeed excellent.

yokehead wrote:Is that a route track or did a snail get loose on your map?! A fine tramp and great photos, Whoap! indeed!

I did consider not posting it as it does look a touch like I didn't really know where I was going :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:Interesting to see what this bit of the LD looks like, never having been there!

The usual stunning photography :thumbup:

Cheers Alte, I had been there and had no idea what some of it looked like :D

nigheandonn wrote:Whoap is a lovely name - in a different way so is Ben Gill, which could just as well be a Scottish hill. Any more dual purpose names out there?

Nice to see those hills in sunshine!

It certainly was nice to get to see these hills with unimpaired views, how about Grasmoor or Fairfield, sound more like idyllic rural locations than mountains.

trailmasher wrote:Another good walk and a great set of photos :clap: Pleased that you got the weather this time around to enjoy the mountain scenery 8) BTW, that was some wander, looks more like Hughie's scampering about track chasing voles than your route :lol: :lol:

Great photos as per usual :clap:

Cheers TM, I have often wondered just what it would be like if I followed Hughie one day rather than the other way around :D

martin.h wrote:Ahh that's what the views are like from these three, we were clagged out them last October, didn't see a thing :roll:
Lovely photo's again, I especially liked the "A Watery Sky" shot, it plays with the mind :lol:

Cheers Martin, I love that tree on the slopes of Crag Fell and have took a shot of it on a previous visit, just really look like its up the hill rather than down.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland