walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arenig Fawr

Arenig Fawr

Postby yokehead » Fri May 18, 2018 9:06 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Arenig Fawr

Date walked: 06/05/2018

Time taken: 7.5

Distance: 16.7 km

Ascent: 716m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been here a couple of weeks ago; having enjoyed it and with another good weather day decided to return with Sarah for her to sample the delights. I also had my mind on a few minor variations to the route I'd taken previously, noted at the time.

arenig fawr 2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We made an early start from home to make the most of the day and were away from the car just after 9 under glorious blue skies. Along the road and up the track to Llyn Arenig Fawr. On the other side of the lake I spotted a high terrace that I think would be another interesting route up, and a deep slash in the rock that looked like a mine tunnel but isn't.

P1080045.jpg
approaching Llyn Arenig Fawr

P1080046.jpg
zoom of the terrace and slash in the rock

We had a look at the bothy and I was surprised at the number of people who had used it since my last visit, shown in the bothy book. We went back up to the dam and along the wall before climbing up for a second breakfast stop at the place I'd done the same last time.

P1080047.jpg
across the dam

P1080049.jpg
view up from the second breakfast stop

P1080052.jpg
the lake, and terrace just below the hilltop, left

We enjoyed the steeper climb that followed and Sarah agreed the rocky path is good. Across the fences and, just after the point where the path turns sharp left, instead of taking the traverse path we headed up to the ridge top, zigzagging as we went. As we approached the fenceline just before the junction of the northwest ridge, a party of 8 folk appeared and milled about so we let them get ahead before carrying on. We crossed the fence and had a brief stop on a good viewpoint just to the west, letting the big group get to the summit and after more milling about, go out of sight. We made the most of the rocks and mild scrambling opportunities on our way to the summit and it was worthwhile getting to the ridge top earlier than I had last time.

P1080053.jpg
across the second fence toward the ridge

A couple followed us up and we had a good chat before they continued to the south. We went the same way a little later, again making the most of the scrambling.

P1080055.jpg
down the scrambly section

Once down on the ridge plateau we had a lunch stop then carried on along the whole ridge, visiting every high point. Just for fun, not knowing until later the Nuttall tops that I'm not bothered with. It was just good fun meandering along, keeping to the rocks and dry ground and avoiding the soggy parts!

P1080057.jpg
pool on the plateau

P1080060.jpg
across the plateau

P1080062.jpg
looking back to AF

P1080063.jpg
pyramid rock

P1080065.jpg
keep going on the plateau

Just before the fence corner before the ridge drops away we turned west then northwest across tussocky ground but it wasn't too bad. We crossed the stream and just to the north of it found the faint tracks of a buggy which we followed to meet the good track that heads us back. It was wetter than last time after Amnodd-wen. At the small disused quarry we took the old trackway that leads to the large quarry, that I'd planned to take last time. I wish we hadn't bothered! Being raised, I'd expected it to be dry, but there were surprising boggy patches that were a bit of a pain to negotiate. However it led into the heart of the large quarry which was good to see.

P1080066.jpg
the track down, before it deteriorates into wetness

P1080068.jpg
the large quarry
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland