walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glasgwm, now and then

Glasgwm, now and then

Postby yokehead » Thu May 24, 2018 9:29 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glasgwm

Date walked: 23/05/2018

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On 23 May 2018 I was on a round of the hills at the head of Cwm Cywarch taking in a couple of Hewitts. The original plan had been to descend after the second peak but, looking over at Glasgwm, I recalled a superb trip up there nearly 10 years ago. My word, how those years have flown, it is hard to credit! Such great memories of that day so I couldn't resist a revisit to take another look and tread the same ground that Sarah, Chaz and me had climbed and walked back then.

Our previous trip was done in Dec 2008. In the valley it was cold, damp, gruey and still. Mist capped the hills. But everything was frozen so at least we had no bog to contend with as we ascended. We skimmed stones on a frozen pool and sucked icicles! As we neared the summit we noticed that the sky seemed lighter and, sure enough, we climbed out of the mist into a glorious wonderland of deep blue sky, hot sun, masses of rime ice like snow, and the mist flowing between the bigger mountains. And it was completely calm and still. What a reward for our efforts!

On my revisit it was a glorious spring day so once at the top of Glasgwm I could compare views whilst recalling what we'd done 10 years ago. It all came flooding back to me, so great to have been with the guys. So Glasgwm, now and then......

121_2116.jpg
Sarah and Chaz on the way up, in the mist

P1080297.jpg
just before the summit, looking back to Aran Fawddwy

121_2125.jpg
and Sarah, back then

P1080300.jpg
looking over the lovely lake to the south

121_2134.jpg
and the cloud sea last time

P1080304.jpg
the large cairn - I added the upright stone for us 3

121_2131.jpg
and Chaz all rimed up!

P1080308.jpg
looking toward Cadair Idris and the few trees

121_2149.jpg
last time, there was a huge forest there - you can just see it in the mist, now it has nearly all gone. we went through it later that day

P1080307.jpg
across the lake looking to the cairn

121_2145b.jpg
it was partially frozen last time

121_2153.jpg
time to contemplate how privileged we were to be here on this day

P1080315.jpg
the steep, winding old mining track on descent - no photo from last time since it was misty and nearly dark!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland