walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mweel Rea Mountains

Mweel Rea Mountains

Postby Jim777 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Date walked: 14/06/2012

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Staying at Sleepzone Connemara for a few days to do a couple of walks and decided that my first hills would be Ben Bury and Mweelrea. Went round the night before and had a look at the hill to see how I was going to approach it so that I wasn't dithering about in the morning.
The next morning I drove down and through Leenaun to pick up the R335 which I followed past Delphi and up the side of Doo Lough to the wide causeway between it and Glencullin Lough.
I crossed the causeway and headed up and to the left into Glencuillin. I'd noticed the night before that there was a ramp ran from bottom left to top right up the back of the corrie and hoped to make use of that.
RAMP ROUTE ON BEN BURY.jpg
Ramp route on Ben Bury going left to right

It made for quite an easy ascent :D apart from near the top where this was a outward sloping section covered in small pebbles.
LOOKING BACK DOWN TOP OF RAMP.jpg
Looking back down top of ramp

From the top of the ramp I got a good view of the Sheeffry Hills 762m on the other side of Doo Lough.
SHEEFFRY HILLS ON OPPOSITE SIDE OF LOUGHS.jpg
Sheeffry Hills on opposite side of Doo Lough

GLENCULLIN LOUGH (L) DOO LOUGH (R).jpg
Glencullin Lough (L) Doo Lough (R)

The Ben Bury ridge also looks quite spectacular from high up on the ramp.
BEN BURY RIDGE.jpg
Ben Bury ridge

Once over the top it was a short walk North West to the summit of Ben Bury 795m.
SUMMIT OF BEN BURY 795m.jpg
Summit of Ben Bury 795m

From here one could see the summit of Mweelrea about 3km away to the South West.
LOOKING FROM BEN BURY TO MWEELREA.jpg
Looking from Ben Bury to Mweelrea

From the summit of Ben Bury I descended West and then South South East to the col separating them at 650m.
The ground here made for easy walking :D and a steady ascent South and then South East soon brought me to the summit of Mweelrea 814m.
SUMMIT OF MWEELREA 814m, BEN BURY RIDGE IN BACKGROUND.jpg
Summit of Mweelrea 814m, Ben Bury ridge in background

The views down to Killary Harbour, sometimes called Killary Fjord due to its length are very impressive although it is rather spoiled by all the salmon farms.
KILLARY HARBOUR or FJORD.jpg
Killary Harbour or Fjord

The return journey was the route of ascent in reverse.
That evening as I sat outside on the veranda at Sleepzone Connemara supping some golden nectar :D the views all around were magnificent as was the hostel. It was the first time I had ever seen a midgecutor. It was about 4ft tall and stood on the veranda to suck in all the midges :( :( which were just as prevalent as on the West coast of Scotland.
SUNSET AT SLEEPZONE CONNEMARA.jpg
Sunset at Sleepzone Connemara

DEVILSMOTHER SEEN FROM SLEEPZONE CONNEMARA.jpg
Devilsmother seen from Sleepzone Connemara

BEN GORM RANGE SEEN FROM SLEEPZONE CONNEMARA.jpg
Ben Gorm Range seen from Sleepzone Connemara
Attachments
MWEEL REA SEEN ACROSS KILLARY HARBOUR.jpg
Mweelrea seen across Killary Harbour
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Re: Mweel Rea Mountains

Postby joreidy » Wed May 25, 2022 10:44 pm

Great report and pictures Jim. I'm attempting this route tomorrow via the Doolough side. Hoping for weather like you had!
John
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:44
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:8

Re: Mweel Rea Mountains

Postby Jim777 » Fri May 27, 2022 6:50 pm

It’s quite an easy walk. Hope you get as good weather as I had. Enjoy.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland