walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cam Crag, Langstrath, Borrowdale

Cam Crag, Langstrath, Borrowdale

Postby Pensioner » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Rosthwaite Fell

Date walked: 01/06/2018

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 580m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great day out on this Grade 1/2 scramble route. The Lakes had bathed in unbroken sunshine for almost 3 weeks and the rivers and bogs were very dry although there were signs that thunderstorms were imminent. Paid for parking at the Stonethwaite Primary School. Followed trail through village and campsite and up Langstrath. Tricky finding start on faint path to crag up from Blackmoss Pot then up right through bracken and then found the gate through the fence by the large boulder Woof Stone (there is a stile to the left). There was no-one else in sight and I had the route to myself. The start of the route is obvious above a lower frontal outcrop over a chaotic boulder field and up a broken corner. There are several grassy terraces that break up the route and would allow an escape on the left but there are plenty of good holds and the crest is best. There are plenty of variations to make the disjointed scramble harder or easier as desired. The next section direct above a jumbled rocky hollow looked more Diff than Grade 2 and since I had no gear I traversed in above this from the left. This led to an exposed pitch up some clearly worn steps and several pull-ups over wider rocks. Good fun. Another grass terrace led to a steeper broken face with a narrow slanting L-> R crack. This looked intimidating but is easier than it appeared with a good projection hold halfway up. Bit exposed though! Another grass terrace led to a 5m stepped wall with a series of rock terraces on the left and a steeper right section with out-cut polished steps that was definitely rock climbing territory. I opted for the rising series of R -> L terraces which proved good sport. And that was it with just a stiff pull to the top of Rosthwaite Fell. From here I had an impressive view of the sheer Honister Crag. I briefly entertained going for Glaramara but there were now threatening dark skies to the north and rumbles of thunder so with some problematic route-finding I headed back down to Stonethwaite. No sooner did I reach my car and the heavens opened with avengeance. A great low grade route in a quieter part of the Lakes.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pensioner
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:60
Fionas:18   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:68   Islands:35

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland