walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Western Oberland 8 The Wildstrubel

Western Oberland 8 The Wildstrubel

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:40 am

Date walked: 20/07/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The 3244m Wildstrubel is a mountain with three tops of almost equal height arranged roughly in a semicircle. It lies a few Km. W of the Gemmi pass, and while the Western side is mainly shale and rock, the Eastern is quite heavily glaciated although as everywhere the glaciers are shrinking all the time.
WS01.jpg
Map of The Wildstrubel - the normally recognised summit is the 3244 peak at the lower L
WS02.jpg
This side is well seen from the slopes of the slightly lower Steghorn
I originally climbed the Wildstrubel with Klaus and Donna in 2005. we parked at Leuk station, took a bus to Leukabad, the Lift to the Gemmi Pass and then walked (ca. 2 hours) to the Lammeren hut.
WS03.jpg
On the track shortly after leaving the lift
WS04.jpg
Walking up the flat river bed towards the hut
WS06.jpg

WS06a.jpg

WS07.jpg
Pics taken on the 2013 walk in - the hut is up to the R - almost exactly centre picture
Looking back - the small lake is the Lammerensee
WS08.jpg

WS09.jpg
Oxlip - Primula elatior below the hut
WS10.jpg
The Lammeren hut - looking S across the valley towards the Schwarzhorn
WS11.jpg
Evening view - looking back to the Balmhorn
However, the weather was misty all the next day. We climbed the left branch of the glacier to the summit, but got no views at all - a total wash out . I tried to climb the peak from the other side in 2012 -See Western Oberland 2 - but again was frustrated by the weather.
However in 2013 David and I made a third attempt. walking in to the Lammeren hut in exactly the same way and planning to traverse the mountain to the Wildstrubel hut. There was quite a lot of snow, but the Warden at the hut assured us it would not be a problem.
WS13.jpg
Traverse of the Wildstrubel
From the hut you head W and then turn R into the valley below the mountain. We decided to take the RH branch of the glacier with its conspicuous ice cave - as it looked easier :)
WS14.jpg
Looking back down the valley and up the Lammeren glacier to the peaks at its head it
WS15.jpg
Looking on up our route - the ice cave is just out of sight over the lip
WS16.jpg
Gearing up: the steeper RH glacier branch is R of centre
WS17.jpg
At the Ice cave
WS18.jpg
Looking back down from here
We turned the ice cave on its L and headed easily up to the central summit and then across to the main one
WS19.jpg
Looking South down our approach route
WS20.jpg
Across to the main summit
WS21.jpg
looking North
WS22.jpg
Down to the Glacier de la Plaine Morte
We descended to the glacier on a zig-zag track over a mixture of shale slopes and snowfields. and trudged across it for about 4Km. we didn't rope up or even put on crampons. Being "dead" flat it has no discernable crevasses. At the end we followed a track to the hut.
WS23.jpg
Back to the Wildstrubel across the Plaine Morte: the path descends almost directly from the high point
WS24.jpg
Wildstrubel hut
This time I had rung up to book the hut, but when we got there they had no record :( . although fortunately they did have space :D .
"I spoke to someone in German" I said
"No-one speaks German here" :shock:
" I wonder if I booked the Wildhorn hut by mistake" ( the phone Nos. are similar and on adjacent lines in the guide)
" We'll ring Willy and find out"
Then a few minutes later :-
" Oh yes you did - he's busy cooking your dinner" :lol: :lol:
So when we went to the Wildhorn hut we didn't book and when we booked we didn't go :lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't feel any real sense of guilt - what goes around comes around. I just wonder why any "Basil Faultys" want to run mountain huts. The first essential at any kind of "catering" establishment is surely to be pleasant and friendly to whoever comes thru the door.
We planned to descend from here to the Rawil pass and then go on down the Alpages de Rawil to the Lac de Tseuxier
WS26.jpg
Descent route
In the evening we were treated to quite a dramatic sunset
WS27.jpg

WS28.jpg

WS29.jpg

WS30.jpg

In the morning we set off down the zigzag path to the col - a lot easier than climbing up it the previous year :lol: - and headed L down the valley
WS31.jpg
From outside the hut, Looking down the valley and across to the Wildhorn
WS32.jpg
Zoomed view of the Wildhorn and our 2012 descent route from the Schnidehorn
WS33.jpg
Down in the valley looking back up
The alpine plants in the limestone areas are of course different from those on the mostly acid soils of the Valais, and some of the ones on this descent were particularly splendid
WS34.jpg
Ranunculus alpestris - Alpine Buttercup
WS35.jpg
Soldonella alpina - Alpine Snowbell
WS36.jpg
Gentiana acaulis - Koch's Gentian
WS37.jpg
Erinus alpinus - Fairy Foxglove
WS38.jpg
Trolleus europaeus - Globeflower
Ws39.jpg
Onobrychis montana - Mountain Sainfoin
At the bottom end of the valley we joined a big track which took us down to the beautiful Lac de Tseuxier a popular tourist attraction. We walked down to the bottom end of it with a fine waterfall opposite, and from there followed first the road and then a series of pleasant paths down to Ansere and a bus back to Sion in the Rhone Valley.
WS40.jpg
The waterfall seems to spout directly out of the rock
WS41.jpg
Looking back up the lake
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland