walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A run up Great Orme

A run up Great Orme

Postby superstar_tradesman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:07 pm

Date walked: 08/07/2018

Time taken: 1

Distance: 8.8 km

Ascent: 230m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first non-Scottish WH report, and while it may have been North Wales, I felt like I was in Crete or Croatia or California! This was a leaving day morning run after a brilliant few days based in Llandudno, the highlight of which had probably been a spectacular and exhilarating swim in Llyn Idwal under the brooding shadow of the Glyderau.

Another hot day was forecast, so I was up and away by 8, hoping not to get too fried. As it happened, I was only in the shadow for a couple of km or so, and had to turn my buff from headband into pirate cap to avoid heatstroke 8)

I set off on a clockwise circuit, as usual hoping for a more gentle climb and steep downhill. I made my way through town streets to hit the west beach and then along to the fancy houses at Gogarth. Here, the road, now tolled and one-way anticlockwise, climbs the steep rocky hillside, thinking it's on the Cote d'Azur. As I rounded the NW head of Great Orme, I left the road and headed up short grass to pick up a path that would take me along towards the summit.

2018-07-08 08.29.38.jpg
Looking west along the North Wales Coast

I wasn't sure exactly which way to go, but found myself on the northern path (there's an option that follows the crest of the crags further south). After a km or so, I turned SSW, following a path to, and then round the edge of, a farm and lots of sheep, before picking up another fainter path that took me to the summit car park, buildings and eventually the trig point at the summit.

2018-07-08 08.45.57.jpg
Parched yellow grass, deep blue sea and mountains beyond

2018-07-08 08.46.02.jpg
Back along the headland, with Anglesey in the distance

This was a hard 207m, but the views were spectacular, the parched grass making the views decidedly un-Welsh.

2018-07-08 08.48.50.jpg
From the top, looking down to Llandudno town, with north beach hiding

I hadn't made a definitive plan for my descent, but did remember lots of arrows on the OS map indicating it would be steep! So I followed paths down across the tram tracks, then very narrow roads winding between some houses, down more steps and back to the road with the tramlines.

2018-07-08 08.57.07.jpg
Steep hill and tram tracks—wouldn't want to cycle down here in the rain!

This took me down past the tram station to the town centre, and eventually back to our accommodation, ready to pack up and head north. An exotic wee hill, much to be recommended :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: A run up Great Orme

Postby Sgurr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:39 pm

This was husband's first Marilyn, done with his aunties about the age of 6, but we had to go back for me to do it. As usual with small hills, it got relegated to a poor day, in this case a day with gales, so we had to crawl up to the trig from the restaurant. Good to see what it would look like had we time to have treated it properly.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland