walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wards Stone, Grit Fell and Clougha

Wards Stone, Grit Fell and Clougha

Postby Broggy1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Date walked: 02/08/2018

Time taken: 3.3

Distance: 19.4 km

Ascent: 672m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Couldn't walk at weekend and while I did have some time in the afternoon on Thursday and Friday, neither looked a great forecast.

Settled for a local walk Thursday evening - visiting Bowland's high point via Clougha.

Warm and humid but thick mist on the tops.

IMG_5058.JPG
Into the cloud along Clougha Edge

IMG_5059.JPG
Clougha Pike Trig

IMG_5060.JPG
Grit Fell is Clougha's parent fell but I rarely visit it as the going between the two is very wet. It wasn't today though despite the misty conditions.

IMG_5062.JPG
Ward's Stone Western Trig with the Ward's Stone behind - it's another very rough crossing from Grit Fell to here but again - after so little rain recently - it was fine today

IMG_5064.JPG
Ward's Stone Eastern Trig - so strange to get two on the same hill, so close together

IMG_5065.JPG
I was going to drop down to the shooting track and along Ward's Stone Breast but that would have meant leaving a path - which I didn't think was wise in the conditions - so I backtracked back to the low point between Ward's Stone and Grit Fell and met the track there.

IMG_5068.JPG
On the shooting track now that heads round the back of Clougha Pike - Baines Crag visible. Out of the hill mist it was actually a nice day. Very strange weather.

IMG_5070.JPG
Clougha from Baines Crag

IMG_5077.JPG
Typical Bowland
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland