walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cuckoo way - non stop - Part Two

Cuckoo way - non stop - Part Two

Postby bargee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Date walked: 12/05/2018

Time taken: 20

Distance: 77 km

Ascent: 250m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Part Two.

I left Part one having reached the West end of the Norwood tunnel just as the sun was setting having completed 13 miles of the 48 miles of the cuckoo way, towpath of the chesterfield canal.

A walk through the night was in store.

but first I had to climb over the hill that Norwood tunnel passed through, passing under the M1 on the way.
I manged to get through this section before i lost all the light and had to put my headtorch on as i rejoined the towpath.
I stopped for an hour to have a drink and a rest at the Station inn by Kiverton park station, where the canal and railway run next to each other.

Norwood tunnel west end

The sun is setting
from the tunnel mouth it was 1/4 mile uphill through a field to reach the M1 which was passed under via this accomodation bridge

then into the fields beyond

the route passes through Kiverton waters the reservoir here feeds the canal.

crossing a field before decending to the East tunnel mouth.

The east tunnl mouth is there in the gloom, it was now 20.40 and i'd been awake since 06:00 and on the walk since 14:00 so decided I needed a break so visted the Station inn at kiverton park station for an hour and restarted along the summit pound towards Shireoaks at around 10pm,
the photos now are few and far between and recorded the milestones that i passed so i had the times to monitor my progress.

Image 23 miles

The walk from Kiverton Park to shireoaks is really really nice and includes the recently restored locks of the Turnerwood and Thorpe flights dubbed the Giant staircase ( tongue in cheek) but the whole section is lovely especially in spring.
Check out Robbie cummings video of them ( i met him at the end of the walk see about 2 mins in)

At shireoaks I stopped at the toilet block, and refilled my water bladder and it started to rain, but I carrie don passing through the centre of Worksop at 11pm with a very loud pub, but once through that i didn't see anyone else until 6am in Retford where i stopped and had another break as i was starting to zombie walk.
I was marking off the walk through the night by the crossing of the A1 and the east coast main line plus each milestone.

At Retford it started to become light again as i had a half hour break after 32 miles.
only 24 to go.

with the light brightening I got my second wind and enjoying the walk passed through the retford suburbs and out into the fields

video of wide lock

the miles passed by but the land had flattened out and there was still 18 miles to go and the distance between the milestones seemed to get further and further. and there was no locks to break up the walk, the towpath was now just grass, and rutted in places so i was nervous of stumbling and turning my ankle, luckily through the night the towpath was mostly graded stone so was easy walking.

The sun rising higher

video of 33 miles

The next 6 miles or so was a slog - I knew the route turned north then west until it turned sharp north to head through a short tunnel through a low ridge of hills before turning east towards the river trent but it seemed to take ages to get there. I took few photos and saw only 1 boat moving, the only bat moving i saw on the navigable section, but that was probably because it was early on sunday morning between 6am and 10am.

eventually I arrived at drakeholes near the tunnel at the 40 mile mark and climbed over the top and down the other side,
then it was just a final 6 miles to west stockwith, I was trudging along so didnt take any pictures until the very end at west stockwith after meeting Robbie Cummings on is boat Naughty lass - see the video higher up

Made it to the end

The final milestone

I made it.
I walked 47 miles in all
in 21 hours.
I was knackered having been awake for 30 hours straight but except for a slight knee pain between miles 20 and 35 i was feeling great and the next morning was able to walk around fine.
The walk, I accept was flat, but i satisfied myself i could walk this distance.
So very pleased I made it.
I was alos glad I had a BW key to access the water taps and toilet facilites and shireoaks to refill my water and i stopped at the other one just east on the A1 at around 2.30am

I can recommend the chesterfield canal it is lovely, especially the section between Shireoaks and the summit pound to Kiveton park.

iain the bargee
Last edited by bargee on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
bargee
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:108   Islands:19

Re: Cuckoo way - non stop - Part Two

Postby bargee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 pm

report now complete.
id submitted the report in error rather than saving the draft, but its all complete now, hope you enjoy reading it
bargee
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:49 am

Great effort Iain (I plan to do something similar next year).

Keeping the legs going for that distance is quite an achievement - did you get bored with canals???
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby bargee » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:28 pm

no not bored of them, just found i was walking the hills more than cruising the boat.
bargee
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland