walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An early adventure

An early adventure

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:22 am

Date walked: 10/08/2018

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Came across these old photos of a very enjoyable adventure to Snowdon!

ImageIMG_2652 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2631 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I have no idea how many times I have climbed Snowdon, but it is such a great mountain that I could never get tired of it. "It is very satisfying that the highest mountain in England and Wales is also the finest" said one travel writer.

The "architecture" of the ring of sharply pointed rock peaks and their narrow linking ridges, and the deep cwms with their blue-green lakes, is an extraordinary landscape.

Every time I visit, it is like a rediscovery of something marvellous.

I can't remember the year but it was late May I think. The walk was postponed from Easter, when Snowdon was plastered in deep snow. We went up by the Pyg Track and descended by the Miner's Track, followed by our traditional visit to the climbers' bar of the Pen y Gwyrd for a celebratory pint. It is always an enjoyable challenge to spot the signatures - Mallory, Tensing, Hillary, Bonington etc - written on the ceiling!

The first part of the walk we had dull cloudy conditions, so no photos, except this one of clouds swirling around the summit pyramid.

ImageIMG_2559 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

And this one of my son's friend giving him a helping hand.

ImageIMG_2540 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We enjoyed the new cafe. I wouldn't like all mountain tops to be like this. But this mountain top is also a railway station - so it seems fair enough to have good facilities for all the visitors.

Views on the descent were much better, the dark clouds rolled back for a while and there were even some bursts of sunshine. Lliwedd in particular looked fearsomely craggy, making up for the lack of views on the ascent. The photos tell their own story.

ImageIMG_2574 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2607 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2610 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2639 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Not the weird white reflections of clouds on this view of Llyn Llydaw

ImageIMG_2649 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2653 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2676 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2680 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2689 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2673 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2696 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2700 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland