walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Narrow ridge, Cave, & Swim - A Lake District Bonanza :)

Narrow ridge, Cave, & Swim - A Lake District Bonanza :)

Postby dooterbang » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Birkhouse Moor, Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Helvellyn, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag

Date walked: 05/08/2018

Time taken: 7

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Six years ago a group of us walked these hills in Winter, finishing with views of a spectacular sunset :) However today would be a summer solo traverse followed by a drive to Rydal to visit the caves and finish my day with a nice swim in Rydal water. I'd chosen the Lakes as the weather was looking best here, now that the Scottish heatwave was coming to a close!

I would take in Birkhouse Moor, Birks, Dollywaggon Pike, Fairfield, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Seat Sandal, St Sunday Crag. Firstly starting with Helvellyn via Striding Edge, a very popular route. It wasn't too busy, but the weather was rather claggy for now...it would improve as the day went on.

Supported a Polish group along Striding Edge in parts, then chatted to more Polish folk at the summit of Helvellyn. From here the walk was very quiet and I only bumped into one other person, a young girl up from London who had been walking 3 days in a row..."just for exercise" she quipped :)

Always makes me smile...situated in someones garden at the start.

Striding Edge

Clearing up

Looking back along the ridge

A few Tarn & Ridge shots

Walked the rest of the route without incident, enjoying the solitude :)

Final part of the walk

Great views of Ullswater to finish the walk.

Back at Glenridding I bought some ice cream and sat a while, I then drove 20 miles to Rydal. The sun was out in force now, and I was looking forward to the next little adventure 8)

Parked up at Rydal and quickly set off in the now blazing heat!

Rydal water soon came into view

And it wasn't long before I found the caves...

From the outside

From the inside

After some time I took a wander before finding a quiet secluded spot for a swim

Nice spot

Looking across the water

The water was really cool and perfect for a swim

It was very refreshing having a dip in the water, I felt pretty energized. Whilst sitting by the water I fed some ducks what food I had left, they appeared to enjoy it :)

I had planned to stay for the sunset but I knew this wouldn't happen due to the cloud that had formed, and with the next days weather looking grim I decided to head home to Glasgow. Arrived back home around 10pm, very happy with my cross border raid 8) Definately have to visit and explore more of Rydal next time :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland