walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Zugspitze - on top of Germany

Zugspitze - on top of Germany

Postby Mrs Scoob » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Date walked: 27/08/2018

Time taken: 10.9

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 2880m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On our first van trip to Europe, this was our first target - the highest point in Germany, on the border to Austria. Involving a gorge walk, via ferrata, scramble, glacier crossing then finishing with more via ferrata, we'd been weather watching for a while so knew the conditions. The 'snow bridge' from the glacier back on to rock had fallen just in the last couple of days, but it was still passable. Took me 4 attempts :shock: getting up that bit of rock, but what an awesome route and a great feeling finally reaching the summit! 8) :D

Check out Scoob's video for the movie version of this story :lol: :thumbup:

whDSC08548.jpg
Setting off from Hammersbach for the Hollental route - before 4am!
whDSC08562.jpg
Heading through the gorge, relieved when we saw torches far behind us confirming others were coming this way too :)
whDSC08576.jpg
Just past the hut above the gorge, daylight beginning to break
whDSC08584.jpg
Sunrise behind us
whDSC08587.jpg
Finally on to the first part of the via ferrata!
whDSC08595.jpg
The iron pegs featured a few times - never felt unsafe, even with nothing else underfoot :)
whDSC08608.jpg
Above the first via ferrata and back on to track
whDSC08621.jpg
Track soon turns to scree and we can see the glacier ahead (tiny specs on the right side of it are people! Quite a few had passed us by now, lol)
whDSC08641.jpg
Some had crampons, some were roped up, but we opted for micro spikes for crossing this glacier; no problems for this part
whDSC08651.jpg
*sigh* 3 times I got up the rope close to where the first guy is in this pic, only to fall back down on to the snow bridge (no anchors on this bit and I clearly hadn't done enough to strengthen my arms before this trip!)... then Scoob went first and helped me up :o Didn't feel so bad since others before me had shaky legs and one guy fell twice before making it up (although unaided, lol)
whDSC08660.jpg
Yaaaaay!! Finally up the rope and back on to the via ferrata clips, phew! Queue's getting bigger (we later saw 2 turn back at this point)
whDSC08665.jpg
Now the fun starts! :)
whDSC08668.jpg
Our route so far! Nice view of the crevasses and the ant-like people still coming up the glacier
whDSC08673.jpg
We could soon see the cable car station that would be our route down, but didn't realise how far away it actually was!
whDSC08690.jpg
And so we climbed...
whDSC08707.jpg
and climbed...
whDSC08741.jpg
and climbed some more!
whDSC08747.jpg
Now seeing our end point - the cable car goes down to the lake, then we get the train back to the car park in Hammersbach
whDSC08778.jpg
Almost at the top, this is our full route right of center with the end on the left side of the 'fin'
whDSC08779.jpg
Last few steps!
whDSC08786.jpg
And here we are, on top of Germany!! :)
whDSC_0053.jpg
Flying the flag ;)
whDSC08789.jpg
Folks that just got the cable car up don't know what they've missed, lol!
whDSC08791.jpg
Our stats - to the summit; switched off after that as we stopped there for a beer and checked out the shop! :D
whDSC08832.jpg
Going down! Cable car driver has a good job :D
Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: Zugspitze - on top of Germany

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:25 pm

Fantastic! Really inspiring, even with the pretty large numbers of folk.

My brother's been trying to persuade me to do some via ferrata stuff with him. The VF aid didn't appeal much, but I've suddenly seen why it's needed, and why it can still be great fun. I'll try to give it a go this next summer.. :roll:

So thanks for posting. :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby xslawekx » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for posting!

Been thinking of doing Zugspitze for a while now.

Is that the most popular route up the mountain (excluding the cable car :lol: )?

Lastly, has anyone been going through the VF without the safety lanyard clipped on? 8)
xslawekx

Munros:282   Corbetts:211
Fionas:169   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:335   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   Islands:13

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:18 pm

That looks like a fantastic way up an excellent looking mountain. Apart from the big pub on the top, but we do that, with railways rather than cable cars, in the UK too. The route itself looked adventurous but achievable, crossing some amazing terrain.

My grandma summitted the Zugspitze in her 70s. I have a feeling she might have cheated a little though...

Great report, thanks for sharing.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby scoob999 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:22 pm

xslawekx wrote:Thanks for posting!

Is that the most popular route up the mountain (excluding the cable car :lol: )?

Lastly, has anyone been going through the VF without the safety lanyard clipped on? 8)

Simply, Yes, we seen two hill runners without the gear. One of those things if you've done it a few times you could probbably manage without it :roll:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27

Postby scoob999 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Absolutely first class report :clap: :clap: :clap: almost feels like I'm there :wink:
I particularly like the video 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27

Postby Mrs Scoob » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Fantastic! Really inspiring, even with the pretty large numbers of folk.
My brother's been trying to persuade me to do some via ferrata stuff with him. The VF aid didn't appeal much, but I've suddenly seen why it's needed, and why it can still be great fun. I'll try to give it a go this next summer.. :roll:
So thanks for posting. :thumbup:
Thanks! This was our first VF and felt pretty safe with the excitement of exposure :D We went on to do another couple of VFs just for 'fun' i.e. not to reach a summit; it's a growing sport around the Alps! The Zug one was the most comfortable one for me :lol: Definitely go with your brother though :thumbup:

xslawekx wrote:Thanks for posting!
Thanks! I think Hollental is probably the most popular route - lots of guided groups too. There are other climbing routes, but only this one with a VF. The lanyards were good for a security blanket; just a couple of guys without them :)

Mal Grey wrote:That looks like a fantastic way up an excellent looking mountain. Apart from the big pub on the top, but we do that, with railways rather than cable cars, in the UK too. The route itself looked adventurous but achievable, crossing some amazing terrain.
My grandma summitted the Zugspitze in her 70s. I have a feeling she might have cheated a little though...
Great report, thanks for sharing.
Thanks! That was it exactly - adventurous but achievable :D That's awesome of your grandma! Think we'll be using more cables up by then too :wink:
Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:28

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:29 am

wow, this is spooky, me and the missus were talking about climbing up Zugspritze at the weekend (she is half german and we go and see family there every year), but we were thinking of an easier route :D

A great report, but while I've used them before I'm still not sure about ferratas :shock:
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby uk-scrambler » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:28 pm

Wow, great report!
Nice photos, I've often wondered what the Hollentahl route looks like close up. The via ferretas look like fun, but this route is probably above my level!

I climbed Zugspitze the year after with my sun. We went for an easier route - the Gatterl (starting in Austria and crossing the border at 2000 m).
uk-scrambler
Scrambler

Munros:23   
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Postby uk-scrambler » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:28 pm

Wow, great report!
Nice photos, I've often wondered what the Hollentahl route looks like close up. The via ferretas look like fun, but this route is probably above my level!

I climbed Zugspitze the year after with my son. We went for an easier route - the Gatterl (starting in Austria and crossing the border at 2000 m).
uk-scrambler
Scrambler

Munros:23   
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland