walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norway: Durmalstinden

Norway: Durmalstinden

Postby jmarkb » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Date walked: 29/07/2018

Time taken: 6

Distance: 8.2 km

Ascent: 830m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Durmålstinden is a common hill name in Norway (though I can't work out what it means) - this one lies in the middle of the island of Kvaløya near Tromsø. We arrived in Tromsø at the start of a heatwave, the sun was welcome but the temperatures were very non-Arctic!

The route starts from a road bridge in Kattfjorddalen when there is ample parking. We failed to find the start of the path which is initially not very obvious as it crosses a boggy area, but we picked it up a few hundred metres later as it passes through some birch trees. A bit further on it drops down and crosses a small river before starting the climb up the NE shoulder of the hill. It was really quite hot - about 25C at the car and not much wind, so we took it at quite a slow pace!

The shoulder levels out at about 500m and the path starts to fade out. Some waymarks bear right and across a stream. A steeper stonier climb now followed, dodging some outcrops on the right to reach the lower N summit. A pleasant stroll across a wide col led to the main summit at 921m.

To vary the descent, we returned towards the col and then headed right down a rocky spur, marked at the top by a couple of small cairns. This soon eased into a broad ridge and led us back to the path at the top of the first steep section.

Durmalstinden_map.jpg

Online map

The riduculous looking Djeveltanna on the other side of the road

Nordfjordtinden

At the top of the first shoulder

The upper half of the mountain - the route goes close to the right hand skyline

Middagstinden and Tverrfjellvatnet

Alpine Catchfly

Looking north-west

Vasstinden (walk report here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24010)

Main summit from the N top

Looking south towards the Malangen peninsula. The double-topped hill on the right is Mjeldskartinden https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23919

The way down

Skittenskarfjellet
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Norway: Durmalstinden

Postby jacob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Great photos jmarkb. I've never been this far up north myself, but it looks tempting. Although in Norway you can't really go wrong picking an area or making a photo ofcourse.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby onsen » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 am

Very easy on the eyes....thanks for sharing your trip report, jmarkb.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:13 pm

jmarkb wrote:Durmålstinden is a common hill name in Norway (though I can't work out what it means)

Tinden means the peak.

Durmål is a meal, usually a morning meal, but the Scandinavian languages have a small vocabulary so use the same word for many meanings, and it used to mean a feast.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:Durmål is a meal, usually a morning meal, but the Scandinavian languages have a small vocabulary so use the same word for many meanings, and it used to mean a feast.

Great, many thanks for that! Online dictionaries were no help, so I guess it's an old-fashioned word.
I found a reference here https://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A5ltid which says it was a "snack between breakfast and dinner in summer time when working days were at the longest."
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:07 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:Durmål is a meal, usually a morning meal, but the Scandinavian languages have a small vocabulary so use the same word for many meanings, and it used to mean a feast.

Great, many thanks for that! Online dictionaries were no help, so I guess it's an old-fashioned word.
I found a reference here https://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A5ltid which says it was a "snack between breakfast and dinner in summer time when working days were at the longest."

I'm turning all sherlock (or maybe miss marple?), so having a quick look around tinternet and I found this https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/153531023.pdf which is about the naming of mountains by the Norse.

There are several different extracts of books in there, but there is one by Arne Kruse which starts at page 34 (of a total of 83 pages but indicated as page 25 in that extract - but there are other page 25's extracts in there so be careful). in the first paragraph there is a section that roughly translates as "There are names that contain, for example. nons, durmal and rismal tell you the time of day the sun stood over the mountain, seen from a certain city." so Durmalstinden is probably as simple as a sundial telling you what time to eat your durmal... maybe :D
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Coo! For once it's not out of place to describe the pics as stunning!

Those ridges look utterly seductive!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:44 am

Sack the Juggler wrote:I'm turning all sherlock (or maybe miss marple?), so having a quick look around tinternet and I found this https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/153531023.pdf which is about the naming of mountains by the Norse.

Good sleuthing skills!

Sack the Juggler wrote:"There are names that contain, for example. nons, durmal and rismal tell you the time of day the sun stood over the mountain, seen from a certain city." so Durmalstinden is probably as simple as a sundial telling you what time to eat your durmal... maybe

That make sense - same idea as Pic du Midi, I guess?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:16 am

Norway is impossibly beautiful, looks like you had great weather the trip, so jealous!
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland