walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cadair Idris

Cadair Idris

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:29 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Cadair Idris - Penygadair

Date walked: 29/09/2018

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For me, Cadair Idris is a special hill: every step of the walk seems filled with beauty.

It's fitting that Richard Wilson's painting of the mountain, exhibited in 1774 (https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/wilson-llyn-y-cau-cader-idris-n05596) weaned popular taste away from classical Italian landscapes, kick-starting our national fascination with the cold, windy Great British Outdoors. Before Wilson painted Cadair Idris, the usual words to describe British hill scenery were "ugly" and "awful".

After breakfast in Machynlleth, we set off from the Minffordd car park in lovely autumn morning light and crossed the little river.

ImageIMG_6760 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking across the parkland to the Tarren hills.

ImageIMG_6764 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The climb up through the woods was very beautiful.

Image. by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I thought even the stones and shadows were looking very nice.

ImageIMG_6795 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

After a little while, we began to get views through and above the trees and across the valley.

ImageIMG_6782 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6784 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A bit further, and we got our first view of the monster cliffs of Cwm Cau.

ImageIMG_6815 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Striations by the side of the path.

Llyn Cau from the path. It had begun to cloud over, although we enjoyed patches of sunshine for the rest of the day.

ImageIMG_6842 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

From the top of the ridge, there was a view down to the ripply Tal-y-Llyn.

ImageIMG_6862 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking up at the last section of the climb to Craig Cwm Amarch.

ImageIMG_6874 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We passed the mouths of several big gullies, this is one of them.

Llyn Cau from the summit of Craig Cwm Amarch.

ImageIMG_6895 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A spot of sunshine on the lake shore.

ImageIMG_6898 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A different view of the lake from the col between Craig Cwm Amarch and the main mass of Cadair. A steep path descends to the lake near here.

ImageIMG_6900 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

After the col, we followed the stony path towards the summit of Pen-y-Gadair.

Looking back to the cliffs.

Looking west to Craig-y-Llyn. A widening view of the sea appeared from here onwards.

ImageIMG_6933 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Another view back down to Llyn Cau.

ImageIMG_6938 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The main path rises towards Pen-y-Gadair here, but I took a short detour weaving through the rock tors and came out on the ridge west of the summit, with a new view, down to Llyn y Gadair and north-west to the Cyfrwy Arete and its Table. A couple of sections of the Mawddach estuary can be seen in the distance.

ImageIMG_6953 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

At the summit trig we were nearly in the clouds.

ImageIMG_6976 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A gap in the clouds below us, the Table catching the sun.

ImageIMG_6988 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back from the shelter hut to the summit.

ImageIMG_6996 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

We then headed east along the ridge to Mynydd Moel, with some nice views down the huge crags to Dolgellau, the Mawddach valley/estuary and the distant Rhinogs. Among these photos I got a snap of what must be one of Britain's highest trees.

ImageIMG_7031 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7006 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7026 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back along the cliff-tops. In the very far distance can be seen one of the Cregennnen lakes and its little island, and the beach and bridge at Barmouth (easier to see if you click on the magnifier thingy on the Flickr image).

Our party approaching the top of Mynydd Moel.

ImageIMG_7035 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

After crossing a stile, we reached the summit of Mynydd Moel, which is much grander than it looks from the plateau.

ImageIMG_7056 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A couple of contrasting views from the top (Cregennen lake and island more visible now), and a nice Mushroom.

ImageIMG_7070 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7084 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7071 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

It was time to head down. After taking a few steps, we debated whether to head back to the stile, or to take a beeline for the descent route lower down the fence.

ImageIMG_7094 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

On the descent, we were lucky enough to have beautiful patches of low-angled autumn sunlight. This is looking down our descent route, from the spot where Wilson's painting of Cwm Cau was done (but the view in the Cwm Cau direction was all in shadow, so I didn't bother taking a snap of it).

ImageIMG_7102 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking down into the valley.

ImageIMG_7113 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

giant Tussocks near the fence.

Tal-y-Llyn catching the sun.

ImageIMG_7158 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A small patch of sunshine at the mouth of Cwm Cau.

ImageIMG_7184 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The bridge over the stream of Nant Cadair is made of huge slate slabs. I don't know who the boots belong to.

ImageIMG_7208 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Back down into the woodlands.

Mellow evening light.

ImageIMG_7296 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7299 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The last few steps back to the car - destination, five pints of Evan Evan's Cwrw at the Slater's Arms in Corris.

ImageIMG_7293 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Cadair Idris

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:51 am

Cadair is a lovely mountain, one of the nicest anywhere, but especially so south of the Scottish Border. Some nice photos there, which take me back to my last visit a couple of years ago at this time of year.

On the same day, we were just to the north of you on the northern bit of the Rhinogs on the first day of a two night trip. (Report at some point!) Looking south, the majestic shape of Cadair Idris dominated the southern horizon.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Beery Hiker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Thanks Tim - a great report as always, which I won't attempt to duplicate. I must point out that the 5 pints of Cwrw is poetic license because we drank them out of that after two, then there was the Wye Valley Butty Bach, and then that ran out too :wink:
Beery Hiker
Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:132
Wainwrights:119   Islands:5

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:04 pm

What a wonderful mountain, the character of which you've captured really well with these pics. It has everything! Great stuff!

It reminds me that I was up there just 11 months ago (you may recall commenting on my WHR), and that I need to get back up there again, especially as I missed that wonderful walk up through the wood - or at least: I didn't see anything, having had to do it in the pitch black!

I note you also find it necessary to pay a visit to an establishment of cultural, architectural and historical distinction in order to finish off properly a good day in the hills :D .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 am

Mal Grey wrote:Cadair is a lovely mountain, one of the nicest anywhere, but especially so south of the Scottish Border. Some nice photos there, which take me back to my last visit a couple of years ago at this time of year.

On the same day, we were just to the north of you on the northern bit of the Rhinogs on the first day of a two night trip. (Report at some point!) Looking south, the majestic shape of Cadair Idris dominated the southern horizon.

Thanks Mal Grey! - looking forward to your TR on the Rhinogs, which are another favourite hill group of mine!"
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:51 am

Alteknacker wrote:What a wonderful mountain, the character of which you've captured really well with these pics. It has everything! Great stuff!

It reminds me that I was up there just 11 months ago (you may recall commenting on my WHR), and that I need to get back up there again, especially as I missed that wonderful walk up through the wood - or at least: I didn't see anything, having had to do it in the pitch black!

I note you also find it necessary to pay a visit to an establishment of cultural, architectural and historical distinction in order to finish off properly a good day in the hills :D .

Cheers Alteknacker - yes I remember your own great photos of Cadair (was the Cyfrwy Arete in there too? - gulp!

The pub bit at the end of each walk is pure research - hard work but someone has to do it.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby yokehead » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:31 pm

You have captured The Cadair beautifully, and a superb mountain it is. :D

My 3 visits bring to mind a summary for each one of: inversion and brocken spectre, sun and wind, snow and cramp - all good! Definitely worth going back, I'm only an hour away so must return soon, thanks for the reminder!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:36 am

yokehead wrote:You have captured The Cadair beautifully, and a superb mountain it is. :D

My 3 visits bring to mind a summary for each one of: inversion and brocken spectre, sun and wind, snow and cramp - all good! Definitely worth going back, I'm only an hour away so must return soon, thanks for the reminder!

Cheers yokehead! Your walks on Cadair sound very memorable. It is a great mountain in every sort of weather - friendly in nice summer weather, beautiful in autumn, and spectacular in winter.

I've rarely seen a Brocken although once I saw one cast by the dawn light on the east face of Tryfan which was one of the most dramatic things I've seen in the hills (even including Alps etc)

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:50 am

Beery Hiker wrote:Thanks Tim - a great report as always, which I won't attempt to duplicate. I must point out that the 5 pints of Cwrw is poetic license because we drank them out of that after two, then there was the Wye Valley Butty Bach, and then that ran out too :wink:

Yes we have now drunk pubs out of three brews, viz Plockton Brewery Ciste Dubh, Evan Evans' Cwrw and Wye Valley Butty Bach. I think this is a new challenge - to empty pubs of all the different beers (not lager or cider, obvs) brewed in the UK. As there are around 2000 breweries in Britain, this is arguably a bigger challenge than the Munros. Great determination will be required.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:28 am

Some great pics of this superb mountain, excellent :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby satkins » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Great day out, loved the photos, I remember climbing this when in the Air Cadets on an adventure week at Llanbedr. I especially liked the foreboding atmosphere captured in IMG_7035, well done :clap:
satkins
Scrambler

Munros:15   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:69   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:21 pm

That looked a really great day out. Your excellent photos show what a sensational mountain CI is. I've been meaning to get up there for years but have never quite got round to it. Hopefully your report will make up the motivational deficit in the not too distant future. :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:15 pm

dav2930 wrote:That looked a really great day out. Your excellent photos show what a sensational mountain CI is. I've been meaning to get up there for years but have never quite got round to it. Hopefully your report will make up the motivational deficit in the not too distant future. :clap:

Cheers johnkaysleftleg, satkins and dav2930 - thanks very much.

I like all hills - in some ways they are all equal... but some hills look a lot more equal than others.

And Cadair looks exceptionally equal - even with a titchy camera like mine!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland