walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tinside Rigg and Scordale

Tinside Rigg and Scordale

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Date walked: 07/10/2018

Time taken: 4

Distance: 21.4 km

Ascent: 1172m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Up in Appleby for the Sunday and with a Warcop non firing day it's always worth a walk on their ranges.

Since I completed the English Hewitts/Nuttalls, Tinside Rigg and nearby Long Fell had both been upgraded to Nuttall status -so worth a visit now.

A grey day, windy and pretty cold but clear.

1 D scar.JPG
Delfekirk Scar ahead - this is the hill to the right of Murton Pike and in the shooting area

2 Into Danger Zone with Roman Fell behind.JPG
Now into the danger zone with Roman Fell ahead

3 R Fell and T Rigg.JPG
Roman Fell with Tinside Rigg behind it

4 Above Scordale.JPG
The path - not always clear underfoot but waymarked occasionally - climbs along the Northern edge of Scordale

5 Upper Scordale.JPG
After roughly dropping down into Scordale (I lost the path) I am now in Upper Scordale

6 Scordale Head.JPG
Scordale Head - which can always be recognised by the large peat hag

7 Back down Scordale.JPG
I then headed back down Scordale - always an interesting valley to walk through

8 In Swindale.JPG
Heading up the side valley of Swindale

9 R Fell again.JPG
Striking Roman Fell again

10 Upper Swindale.JPG
Upper Swindale - the path is good at this point but soon peters out and s replaced by multiple way markers.

11 T Rigg.JPG
Tinside Rigg summit with Wild Boar Fell visible - you have to leave the PROW for this....but not by much. Meaning it's a little less illegal than Roman Fell, Little Fell etc

12 Long Fell ahead.JPG
Long Fell ahead - the other Nuttall summit on Tinside Rigg and with very little reascent between.

13 could be L Fell.JPG
Cairn on Long Fell - could be the summit

14 could be L Fell.JPG
As could this bit of ammo exposed on a grassy knoll - I wasn't measuring knolls though. Little Fell (which is surely the parent fell) in view

15 Swindale.JPG
Back in Swindale with the waymarkers visible

16 Lower Scordale.JPG
Lower Scordale
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland