walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Rugged Rhinogydd - 2 nights on Wales' wildest hills

The Rugged Rhinogydd - 2 nights on Wales' wildest hills

by Mal Grey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Rhinog Fawr

Date walked: 29/09/2018

Time taken: 12

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1200m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Rugged Rhinogydd - 2 nights on Wales' wildest hills

Postby Chris Henshall » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:11 pm

Many thanks for that; a good mate and I ran outdoor courses for army cadets (working out of what would, these days, be called a camping barn at Ffridd, ref. 613305) in the early 1980s and got to know these hills well – they are fantastically rough and your photos brought back many happy memories.
In particular, we used to run a navigation exercise from Pont Cwm-yr-Afon on the Afon Artro round three llyns (Glowy, Du and Morwynion) finishing in Cwm Bychan and, even though the total distance was only seven or eight kilometres, it used to take the cadets an entire morning, even in clear visibility. If the clag was down, they’d always overshoot Llyn Du and we used to make sure that one of us was in position to stop them heading off east towards Graigddu-isaf. We had groups camping at both Llyn Du and Llyn Hywel on numerous occasions and used to make them try and find the remains of the crashed Lancaster bomber on the northern slopes of Foel Ddu to the west of Rhinog Fawr. We also ran a couple of complete traverses all the way from Talsarnu to Barmouth (both accessible on the train) in a day; luckily the ridge gets a lot less rough south of the northern slopes of Y Llethr so you can move faster. Like you, except for on the Roman Steps, we hardly ever met another soul on the hills.
I’ve only been back three or four times since those days but your report has reminded me what a wonderful area this is; it won’t be too long before I head back up and give myself a hard couple of days over these rocky hills and finish with a pint at the Victoria Inn in Llanbedr.
Thanks for posting.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:06 pm

tom_wales09 wrote:Great report and photos - thank you for sharing! I am preparing to do the Rhinogydd traverse route from Foel Penolau and Moel Ysgyfarnogod in the northern Rhinogs, down to Bontddu/Mawddach estuary in a couple of weeks, so I hve found this information very useful! :)

Tom

Enjoy!

I was thinking of heading back this autumn to finish the southern end of the ridge.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:07 pm

Chris Henshall wrote:Many thanks for that; a good mate and I ran outdoor courses for army cadets (working out of what would, these days, be called a camping barn at Ffridd, ref. 613305) in the early 1980s and got to know these hills well – they are fantastically rough and your photos brought back many happy memories.
In particular, we used to run a navigation exercise from Pont Cwm-yr-Afon on the Afon Artro round three llyns (Glowy, Du and Morwynion) finishing in Cwm Bychan and, even though the total distance was only seven or eight kilometres, it used to take the cadets an entire morning, even in clear visibility. If the clag was down, they’d always overshoot Llyn Du and we used to make sure that one of us was in position to stop them heading off east towards Graigddu-isaf. We had groups camping at both Llyn Du and Llyn Hywel on numerous occasions and used to make them try and find the remains of the crashed Lancaster bomber on the northern slopes of Foel Ddu to the west of Rhinog Fawr. We also ran a couple of complete traverses all the way from Talsarnu to Barmouth (both accessible on the train) in a day; luckily the ridge gets a lot less rough south of the northern slopes of Y Llethr so you can move faster. Like you, except for on the Roman Steps, we hardly ever met another soul on the hills.
I’ve only been back three or four times since those days but your report has reminded me what a wonderful area this is; it won’t be too long before I head back up and give myself a hard couple of days over these rocky hills and finish with a pint at the Victoria Inn in Llanbedr.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers Chris, thanks for the extra info too, interesting. It would be "fun" in proper clag!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland