walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norway: Bentsjordtinden

Norway: Bentsjordtinden

Postby jmarkb » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Date walked: 02/08/2018

Time taken: 5

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 1200m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After sweating buckets for 3 days in a Arctic heatwave, we finally gave ourselves a day off and joined the locals on the beach! In the evening the weather broke with a thunderstorm, and the following day was much cooler, though rather cloudy.

We went back through the tunnel to Malangen, headed for Bentsjordtinden, a fine-looking mountain that is always prominent in the views from summits on Kvaløya. I had seen that it was included in this year's Tromsø Ti på Topp list. This is a list of 10 - 15 summits (of a range of heights) published each year, with the idea that you can sign up and record the ones you have done. It also means that there is some waymarking on the route - this can be really helpful for locating start points, but can feel a bit intrusive on higher ground.

We got to what used to be the usual start point for this hill at Vollstad, only to find no Ti på Topp sign, just a small notice in Norwegian. After staring at it for a while, we decided it was a polite notice from the farmer asking folk not to park there and to go 3km east to another car park. Sure enough, there is a small layby just before Broskar, with the appropriate signage!

The start of the walk is via newly created path straight up through the woods. I'd like to now how they make them - maybe just take a strimmer and cut a strip through the vegetation and rent a crowd of folk to go up and down it a few times? This path is very steep, and in one place has already eroded dangerously over a nasty drop. This needs some care, especially on the way back down. At about the 300m mark, another better worn path joins from the left, but I could not work out where it starts from. Now we were out of the trees and onto much easier angled ground, and delightful walking on short grass, with some lovely alpine flowers, including Alpine Milk-vetch and Round-leaved Wintergreen. The path becomes a bit feint, but there are regular marker posts showing the way.

After a steeper section, the route bears left into a shallow corrie and up the back of this this to reach the lowest point on the summit ridge. Here there is a dramatic view down the other side into a rocky corrie with a small glacier in it. There is some interesting geology here: pale granite veins contrasting with darker shaley rocks. The route now turns left and after a little very easy scrambling arrives at the summit. Although we weren't in the cloud, there was plenty of it about, which restricted the views a bit, but the situation was still pretty impressive. On the way back down, we visited the west top, which has a good view down into the valley below before heading straight down to join the uphill route.

Bentsjordtinden_map.jpg

Online map

First view of the summit from the top of the woods

Heading towards the upper bowl

Klemmartinden

On the summit ridge

The glacier

Middagstinden

Looking back down to Brokskar, with a big ship heading for Tromsø

Mist hanging around the eastern tops

Looking back at the summit

On the west top

Klemmartinden and its neighbours
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Norway: Bentsjordtinden

Postby jacob » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Excellent photos and a very fine looking mountain plus surroundings.
One thing that surprises me: am I misreading your map, or is the glacier oddly on the southside of the mountain?
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby jmarkb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 am

jacob wrote:One thing that surprises me: am I misreading your map, or is the glacier oddly on the southside of the mountain?

Yes, the glacier is south-ish facing, as are a number of others in the area. I guess that slope aspect may be less important at high latitudes where there is less difference in summer insolation between N and S facing slopes?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Karl Brobakk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Pretty cool that you have done this hike as it about 5 km from where I grew up. I did the hike 4 weeks after you this year, as well as some 20 years ago :)
Karl Brobakk

Postby jmarkb » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Karl Brobakk wrote:Pretty cool that you have done this hike as it about 5 km from where I grew up. I did the hike 4 weeks after you this year, as well as some 20 years ago :)

That's amazing - didn't expect to come across anyone else on here who had been up it. And what a great place to call home!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland