walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ullswater Way

Ullswater Way

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:40 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Gowbarrow Fell

Date walked: 19/10/2018

Time taken: 6

Distance: 33.2 km

Ascent: 1486m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A Friday off work for this beautiful walk around Ullswater with some golden autumnal colours.

The Ullswater Way is a relatively new (and way marked) trail and makes a pretty great low level day. With today being windy and promising showers on high ground, I thought it would be perfect and so it proved but I'd have to concede that the Eastern shore and Southern end are the more scenic areas of this walk.

There are two high level options on either side of the walk which I opted for but the lower level routes look a nice alternative as well.

For anybody not fancying the 20 miles in one go, this walk could easily be broken down into stages using public transport or two cars.

1 Arthurs PIke (1).JPG
I opted to park near Roehead in the morning with Arthurs Pike in view. Today would be about looking at the hills rather than climbing them (with the exception of Gowbarrow).

I'm not usually one to avoid the hills but this made a nice change of pace....and it's not like the walk wasn't hilly in it's own right!

2 The Cock PIt.JPG
The initial ascent takes you up to the Cockpit stone circle

3 High up the Eastern Side.JPG
And then along the western slopes of Arthurs Pike for some nice views of Ullswater below

4 Down Ullswater from flanks of Hallin Fell.JPG
Looking back up to the Northern end from the flanks of Hallin Fell

5 Gowbarow across U.JPG
Gowbarrow Fell across Ullswater

6 Waymarkers.JPG
The route is fabulously way marked and you don't really need a map

7 Sheff PIke across Ullswater.JPG
Sheffield Pike across Ullswater - you start to hit proper mountain scenery as you approach the Southern end

8 Beaches.JPG
One of many beautiful little beaches on the fantastic Eastern shore

9 St Sunday comes in view.JPG
St Sunday Crag comes into view as I approach the end of the Eastern leg

10 Towards Patterdale Helvellyn in cloud.JPG
Crossing towards Patterdale with Helvellyn and co in cloud

12 Autumnal paths.JPG
The first bit of the Western side follows the A592 quite closely.

The views of the lake aren't as good but the autumnal colours of the woodland made up for it.
There is one very short bit along the main road where care is needed.

13 PLace Fell.JPG
Place Fell across the lake

14 A Force.JPG
Eventually you come out at Aira Force (and the crowds). In hindsight starting the walk from here may be better as you could get the falls to yourself in the morning and most of the ascent done early in the walk.

15 Above A Force.JPG
Above Aira Force - the path splits here but I opted for the higher level route over Gowbarrow Fell

16 Back to Southern End of Ullswater.JPG
Looking back to the Southern end from the climb up Gowbarrow

17 Gowbarrow Fell.JPG
Gowbarrow Fell Trig Point

18 Looking back at the Eastern shore.JPG
You are a fair bit away from the lake at this point but on a good path with nice views to the Eastern side

19 Field and rural paths.JPG
The walk is a lot more rural now as you head through fields (and cattle).

There is an alternative route after wet weather to stay on the roads but I had no problems today

20 Descent to Pooley Bridge.JPG
Descent to Pooley Bridge

21 Ullswater again.JPG
Back down Ullswater

22 Last look at Ullswater.JPG
Last look at Ullswater from near where I started
Last edited by Broggy1 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Ullswater Way

Postby dav2930 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Looks a good walk. Tuesday I and a few work colleagues were doing a bit of voluntary path maintenance on the stretch of UW between Watermillock Church and Aira Force. It was quite hard work but made a good day out and nice to think I've done my little bit.. :lol:

Btw I find it hard to believe the UW involves over 1400m of ascent! :shock: :?:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Ullswater Way

Postby Broggy1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:02 pm

I agree and I still doubt it does.

I mapped it out twice using the mapping on this site as I struggled to believe it myself - even with the two high level bits I’d have thought about 800m tops.

I always stick to what the mapping says (which usually comes in with less miles but more ascent than other bits of tracking kit used by mates) but this one doesn’t seem right to me either.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland