walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pottering around the Dodds

Pottering around the Dodds

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:12 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Hart Side, Stybarrow Dodd, Watson's Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Clough Head, Great Dodd, Stybarrow Dodd

Date walked: 29/09/2018

Time taken: 4.75

Distance: 17.9 km

Ascent: 840m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With hill walking ground to a complete halt due to various reasons I thought I'd finish off the report for my last day out in the hills. Like my last trip over to Lakeland I wasn't feeling like much of a challenge so decided to do another straightforward simple walk that required little thinking and therefore much time for quiet contemplation.

Although the fells of Watermillock Common looked tempting I decided to keep it simple and leave them for another day and set off from the elevated start of High Row down the quiet road to Dowthwaite Head. All was indeed quiet (apart from a shouty collie dog at the farm) and I was soon well on my way up Birkett Fell as the muted dawn was turning into a beautiful morning.

ImageSoft morning at High Row by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageApproaching Dowthwaite Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMorning light on the wall by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDowthwaite Panorama by Anthony Young, on Flickr (click to see bigger size)

ImageLooking back along the trod by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThrough the wall to Catstyecam by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePennines across the Eden Valley by Anthony Young, on Flickr(click for bigger version)

ImageSuperb views opening up behind me by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross the Helvellyn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageYou Take My Breath Away by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCairn on Birkett Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I didn't pause for long on Birkett Fell (as one would hope, a Birkett) and carried onto Hart Side to have breakfast hunkered down out of the chill breeze in the strange Dyke which runs across the summit. Feeling good I was soon on my way again (missing out the newly demoted Hewitt of Green Side) and enjoying the ever changing light as the clouds came and went providing some spectacular views towards the Far Eastern Fells.

ImageHart Side Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDyke across Hartside summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageForward to Stybarrow Dodd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLocals by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking Down Deepdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkyfall by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Hartside by Anthony Young, on Flickr

By the time we reached Stybarrow Summit it was obvious the Western side of the ridge wasn't quite enjoying the same conditions as the Eastern but the constant change was very entertaining if difficult to capture on camera. Watson's Dodd was quickly visited before heading off towards Great Dodd. Having visited Watson's Dodd in fine conditions I am aware that the view is wonderful, with the clag down however it is amongst the most pointless of all Wainwrights.

ImageBit of a View on Stybarrow Dodd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSunshine and mist on the way to Watson's Dodd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDramatic Skies over Stybarrow Dodd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNothing to see on Watson's Dodd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It looked touch and go for a while but we were afforded tremendous views to the East on Great Dodd before dropping down following the first other walker of the day who had appeared ahead of me. As they continued on we stopped at Calfhow Pike to consume some rations and enjoy the views which were quite splendid. Calfhow Pike is a fine top and far better than just about any other in the immediate vicinity. Hughie and I had an extended break before starting on the gentle rise up to Clough Head.

ImageEver Changing Light by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageStybarrow Dodd clearing by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageViews from Great Dodd Shelter by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat Dodd Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageA Glimpse down Rowantree Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCalfhow Pike catches the light by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNorth Western Fells from Calfhow Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNorthern Fells from Calfhow Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Thirlmere from Clafhow Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

By this time I'd seen a few other walkers and a paraglider floating about in the skies but it remained largely quiet as I reached Clough Head's fine summit affording fantastic views over the Vale of Keswick. I wandered over to White Pike, a Stony little summit which looks quite prominent from below and made a bee line (a drunken bee admittedly) down towards Mariel Bridge.

ImageUp by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClough Head Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClag coming in again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageVale of Keswick from Clough Head by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWhite Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRust Belt by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to White Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Being unsure of the stile situation I managed an ungainly crossing of the fence and ditch (for future reference the is a stile closer to the bridge) to reach the Old Coach Road to enable a simple walk back to High Row. 4x4s are allowed along here but unlike other tracks where motor vehicles are allowed it seems to being maintained OK (better condition than my memory suggested from last time I was wandering along it) and we pottered the last few miles of a really nice walk back to the car.

ImageWolf Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOld Coach Road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The Dodds.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Pottering around the Dodds

Postby dav2930 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Nice one JK. The Dodds are great value when a relatively easy day is required. Lovely walking and superb views. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:14 am

Fantastic portraits of these hills. :clap: :clap: :clap: Though I am reassured to see that even you and your camera found Watson's Dodd a bit of a challenge to make interesting!!! :D

I guess the only justification is the quality of the views ....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:56 am

dav2930 wrote:Nice one JK. The Dodds are great value when a relatively easy day is required. Lovely walking and superb views. :)

Cheers Dav, the miles just seem to disappear beneath your boots on these hills.

Alteknacker wrote:Fantastic portraits of these hills. :clap: :clap: :clap: Though I am reassured to see that even you and your camera found Watson's Dodd a bit of a challenge to make interesting!!! :D

I guess the only justification is the quality of the views ....

Thanks Alte, it was by in large great photography conditions, Watson's Dodd apart.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland