walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A very short trip up Hard Knott

A very short trip up Hard Knott

Postby martin.h » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Hard Knott

Date walked: 25/11/2018

Time taken: 1

Distance: 2.2 km

Ascent: 190m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We wanted a quickie to-day before we set off home. Hard Knott seemed to fit the bill, I didn't realise just how quick this was going to be, it turned out to be a simple case of ticking this off the list of "to do's".

I had originally planned to do a longer route setting off from Cockley Beck Bridge, going up Moasdale and approach Hard Knott from Yew Bank, when we got there the parking spots I'd seen in the past were all taken so I just kept going up Hardknott Pass, arrived at the cairn at the top and found the prime parking spot free of cars so I dived in there and got tucked in.

On the map its at point 393m and there's a path running up the side of Hardknott Gill from the back of the little parking spot.
It's a short steep start then it levels off once the first hundred meters is done, after that it's a steady incline most of the way to the top with a little steep bit leading to the summit.

The weather was ok and we got some views, the wind was a bit cold though so we didn't stand around for too long.
We set off back down happy we'd collected another mutual new one.
It was only after we'd got back to the car that I thought we should have visited Border End so we could get a view of the Fort and on the way had a look at Eskdale Needle, ah well, it's an excuse to go back in the summer on a good day and explore a bit more.

So, another was in the bag, it took us 50 minutes car to summit to car, a very short excursion indeed.

I did take some piccy's tho' :D

Weather not too bad at the start

Border End.

Summit Denise

Summit views

Scafells

Pano's of same

Harter Fell peeping over Border End

The Isle of Man is out there, too much haze in this photo

Esk Pike, Bow Fell and the back of the Crinkles

Scafells again

Harter Fell close up

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: A very short trip up Hard Knott

Postby trailmasher » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Nice report martin with some decent pics there :clap: Just a shame that you didn't make it up to the top of Border End as the views are fantastic from there and the old Roman Fort can really be seen for what it was, big, plus the parade ground can be more easily picked out from a height. 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A very short trip up Hard Knott

Postby martin.h » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:39 pm

trailmasher wrote:Nice report martin with some decent pics there :clap: Just a shame that you didn't make it up to the top of Border End as the views are fantastic from there and the old Roman Fort can really be seen for what it was, big, plus the parade ground can be more easily picked out from a height. 8)

Hi trailmasher,
A re-visit taking in Border End has got to be worth it just for the views of the fort, you've whetted my appetite now, a fine midsummer evening stroll would probably do it justice :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland