walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Couple of Cockups

A Couple of Cockups

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brae Fell, Great Cockup, Great Sca Fell, Longlands Fell, Meal Fell

Date walked: 04/11/2018

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 809m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather forecast was generally poor for this weekend but I spied a glimmer of hope that the fells in the far north may be OK hiding in the shelter of the mighty Skiddaw. An early drive over saw me arriving during a grey but dry dawn with the number of fell tops out being most promising. I parked at the small area near to Over Water and set off with Hughie in the direction of the fells.

ImageOver Water and the other Latrigg by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePlenty tops out, an encouraging start! by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Following a wander along the quiet road we set off up through the fields in the direction of Orthwaite bank, fortunately the field I picked had a gate at the back and it felt good, in a slightly masochistic way, to make my way up the fairly steep bank to the first top of the day with my legs and lungs complaining as they always do following a break from fell walking.
Orthwaite Bank offers a nice view of Skiddaw's dark recesses which are unsuspected from the more normal view from the South with Whitewater Dash standing out clearly against the dark fellside . Quickly moving on we then made a beeline for the first Cockup of the day (the little one) before following the steady gradient up to the Greater one. The weather has so far been unfeasibly good with some sunshine breaking over the higher fells to the south allowing me to make the most of the views unfamiliar with those who only visit Lakeland's Honey pots.

ImageSun Breaking over Skiddaw from Orthwaite Bank by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBassenthwaite from Little Cockup by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross to Longlands Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWestern top of Great Cockup by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSkiddaw from Great Cockup by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat Cockup Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We descended down to the brilliantly named Trusmadoor and decided to have breakfast sat on a crag next to the beck. This is a fine spot, very secluded and peacefully and following the welcome refueling it was back up towards Meal Fell. I really like Meal Fell, it sits largely surrounded by higher fells but has the feel of a little fort especially when in the summit shelter.

ImageFrozen Fell Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTrusmadoor by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Burntod Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBit of sunshine on the way up Meal Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Trunmadoor by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the way to Meal Fell summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageView from Summit Shelter on Meal Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Meal Fell left behind it was a steady pull up to the high point of the day, Great Sca Fell. This is a dreary uninspiring top no matter what the weather so we moved on quickly past Little Sca Fell (a far better top in truth) and onto the grassy highway to Brae Fell. It was now I saw the first other walker of the day conturing across the top of Charleton Gill with what looked like a massive pack. Turns out once I reached the summit cairn the massive pack contained a small child who was happily munching crisps sat on the summit cairn while his mum took a rest.

ImageLooking back to Meal Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Frozen Fell Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageView to the North by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Dreary Summit of Great Sca Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLittle Sca Fell's sunken shelter by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWeather massing over Skiddaw by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBrae Fell Cairn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The weather was slowly greying over with the blue skies increasingly moving north, certainly Skiddaw's gallant efforts at holding the clouds back seemed now to be a lost cause as I made my way to the last few tops of the day. Arriving at Longlands Fell I decided to just eat my rations in the car and took a direct route down the fellside, a short road walk later I was in the car watching a few drops of rain on the windshield.

ImageRidges by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Simple by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLonglands Fell Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie on the last top of the Day by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Loner by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAutumnal colours in the Lales by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLarches by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageChappelhouse Reservoir by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I was planning to perhaps tack on another little'un, perhaps Great Mel Fell so I drove to the A591 and down to the A66. The scene the other side of the Skiddaw massiff was grim and whereas I could have trudged up another brown/green lump in the rain I decided such a ruthless tick wasn't worth it and drove home. Still great to be back on the fells and also to get such a fine weather window.

Uldale fells.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Couple of Cockups

Postby trailmasher » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:10 pm

A fine walk on some great hills with great pics and report to suit :clap: . It's always a pleasure to walk these friendly hills where it's easy to stride out and cover lots of good ground and tops :) I usually walk it clockwise but on occasions have more or less done the same route as you did in this report.
Also good hills to regain some of that hill fitness you were looking for :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Sgurr » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:59 pm

We're going back to the Lakes in December, so this report is very timely as these are on the list. However, with ever shortening days, and a great week in each of the months we have tried so far, I fear our luck might be about to run out.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am

trailmasher wrote:A fine walk on some great hills with great pics and report to suit :clap: . It's always a pleasure to walk these friendly hills where it's easy to stride out and cover lots of good ground and tops :) I usually walk it clockwise but on occasions have more or less done the same route as you did in this report.
Also good hills to regain some of that hill fitness you were looking for :wink:

Thanks TM, I did a similar walk clockwise on Round one so I thought I'd mix it up a bit, The Uldale fells are indeed perfect for an easy wander, I like them a lot.

Sgurr wrote:We're going back to the Lakes in December, so this report is very timely as these are on the list. However, with ever shortening days, and a great week in each of the months we have tried so far, I fear our luck might be about to run out.

The good thing about the Lakes is there are many short but very rewarding walks that can be squeezed into short windows, I'm sure you'll find plenty of hills to ascend. These fells are like TM says very friendly and quiet and can be done with minimum of fuss.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby martin.h » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:33 pm

We like this part of the Lakes and these hills are not too familiar with the usual crowds which makes for nice quiet days, they remind me a bit of the Southern Uplands, only a smaller version.
Lovely photo's again Anthony, I can almost feel the day :D

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:18 am

Well, certainly no cockup in the photography.

"Simple" is just superb :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:15 pm

martin.h wrote:We like this part of the Lakes and these hills are not too familiar with the usual crowds which makes for nice quiet days, they remind me a bit of the Southern Uplands, only a smaller version.
Lovely photo's again Anthony, I can almost feel the day :D

Cheers.

Thanks Martin, your right about the different feel of the Northern fells, more Cheviots than Lakes at times.

Alteknacker wrote:Well, certainly no cockup in the photography.

"Simple" is just superb :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Many thanks, I was in two minds about "Simple" good to know at least one other person likes it :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby dav2930 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Enjoyable report JK, and an effective reminder of what a pleasant group of hills these are. It's been longer than I care to remember since I was last on them, but I do remember Trusmadoor being a really fascinating little spot and the hills having a character all of their own. I'm quite keen now to revisit them!

Btw Hughie looks a bit self-conscious with his new haircut! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:12 pm

dav2930 wrote:Enjoyable report JK, and an effective reminder of what a pleasant group of hills these are. It's been longer than I care to remember since I was last on them, but I do remember Trusmadoor being a really fascinating little spot and the hills having a character all of their own. I'm quite keen now to revisit them!

Btw Hughie looks a bit self-conscious with his new haircut! :lol:

Cheers David, they are the type of hills I wish I lived close to (any would do tbh :lol:) perfect for a stress free potter over easy ground. Hughie has had to change hairdresser due to a retirement, at least that was her excuse :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Sgurr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Well, we did get up Great Cockup..most appropriately given its name on the day T.May decided there was going to be no vote on her plan, So after a struggle we found very little there, and couldn't see where on earth to go next, so came back down again. All in all extremely like Brexit

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 pm

:lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland